Huge Issue with Custom Spa

Jun 15, 2008
S.E. Wisconsin
Some of you may have seen my little Spa Build thread. Basically a portable spa, half in ground. The two pumps and air blower are about 35' away in the "doghouse". The pipes are wrapped in Refectix and buried. It's been cold here, and only getting colder.

Here's the issue. We started heating Saturday. Water temp was 40. By Tuesday mid day the water was 95*. This is using the Spa Packs electric element on the 120v setting. Today I went out there to check and the heater wasn't on, even though it was supposed to be. The PSI was 0 and no, or hardly any water was flowing. Somehow my pump wont pump water and I don't get why. I don't think the pipes are frozen because it pumps a little water, but not enough for the flow switch on the heater to kick on. It doesn't register on the PSI gauge, but when I took it out water squirted about 8" out of the hole, not much force. The other pump won't even prime.

The water level in the tub is just above the inlet of both pumps. I unscrewed both unions on the pumps and some air came out, then water. The Spa pack pump seemed to pump water for a min after that, even enough for the heater flow switch to kick on for a second. then it went back to hardly any flow.

I ran the Big pump yesterday and it pumped water fine the whole time, but it was pulling in air intermittently, or maybe it was cavitating because I could hear it, but I didn't see many if any bubbles coming out. Today when I cleaned the filter there was a lot of dirt(soil) in it, and a pile of it in the well of the filter. I'm not sure where it got it. I don't seem to be losing any water.

HELP!!!!!!!! What could be going on? It was working so well before yesterday.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give details. I don't want it to freeze so I need to get this fixed ASAP

Thanks,
Adam

Debris is what I was thinking too. I wanted to snake the Suction for then but couldn't find the snake.

For clarity, the plumbing goes something like this...

Hottub (drain grated)=====........ ====Valve==Spa Pack/Heater===========
Hottub (built in Cart Filter) +====+..........................................................+=======(to Hottub)
............................................. ====Valve==Jet Pump==Check Valve======

If that makes any sense ^^^.

I got the Jet Pump to prime today, but because it hasn't been able to move water in two days the pipe outside the box before it goes underground is frozen. If I can unfreeze that pipe and get water moving through there I can push water backward through the other pump and clear anything stuck in there. I need a warm day!

Adam

:party: :party: :whoot: :cheers: :-D :mrgreen: :compress:

I am a SUPER happy camper today!

It was warm, 35*F(well compared to the part few days) so I took the opportunity to fix the hottub. Lucky me I used Union Valves which saved my butt. I disconnected one and was able to use the Steam Cleaner wand to melt the ice. That allowed the jet pump to pump water. It forced water backward through the other pump and bit of pipe. A whole lot of leaves came out the jets and now everything is working great! The pumps are pumping correctly and the tub is back on its way to heating.

Adam

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.