Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: breakpoint chlorination

1. Back To Top    #1

Angry breakpoint chlorination

In need of some advice, my test kit only tests FC, alkalinity, and PH. Bought them cheap, not the best I know, but it is what I have to work with at the moment. FC -0, ph -7.2, alkalinity -80 to 120. My water is blue green and cloudy, algae is def noticeable. I have tried super chlorinating my pool several times to no avail, both liquid and HTC mineral granules. There is absolutely no FC in the AM when I check levels. I don't think I'm adding enough, I follow the instructions on the product and NOTHING. Burning a hole in my wallet trying to fix my darn pool. I just cannot seem to maintain any chlorine in my pool, HELP.
    13,000gal inground, pool cage, est 2004, cartridge filter, set for 8hr filtration every night

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: breakpoint chlorination

Welcome to the forum!

You need to SLAM and you need a proper test kit to maintain your pool. FYI - 'breakpoint chlorination' is a pool store myth.

Order a TF100 test kit
    The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want.
    I also have the SpeedStir. It makes testing much easier.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: breakpoint chlorination

Your guessing. With Marty's advice, your not, and it's the cheapest way to win
    Casey
    Intex 24' x 52" Filled to 40-45", 2 Main Drains, 1 Skimmer, 1 Return, PVC
    1/2 HP Intex Pump 633T w/ Taeglus TA-40 175 lb 19.5" Sand Filter, Auqabot Extreme Robot
    TF-50 and Taylor 2006 Test Kits, Quality Well Water, Fleck 5800SXT Water Softener