1st SLAM Questions

vgomez1

Silver Supporter
Oct 13, 2017
NTX
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Needed to slam my pool yesterday due to a suspected algae problem I've been dealing with. Backwashed and added cellulose fiber prior to beginning. Had a CYA of 70 so added 6 gallons of bleach to bring FC up to 28. Pool looks clearer this morning but filter guage shows filter is dirty already and there seems to be a white powdery residue on the pool floor. Is this normal? Thx.

Welcome to the forum!

The residue is most likely dead algae. Be sure to maintain your shock level FC of 28 ppm until your water is crystal clear and you pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Read the SLAM Process article.

- - - Updated - - -

Post up a full set of test results exc pH as it is not accurate at FC above 10 ppm.

Just backwashed the filter. CYA at 30 and fc still at 28. After testing, added water as backwashing drained significantly. Adjusted ph and alkalinity prior to slam. Added 7 lbs baking soda to raise TA to 110 and 18 oz muriatic acid to lower ph to 7.6. Thx for the help!

How did your CYA go from 70 to 30? No action should have been taken on a pH reading when the FC is above 10 ppm. What was your TA that you wanted to raise it to 110, which is much too high.

Please slow down as you are not making good decisions on chemical additions. Confirm what CYA you have right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Read again, see your pH adjustment was pre SLAM. OK -- but again, no need to raise TA that high. It will drive up pH and you will have a very high acid demand.

Thx. CYA 70, not 30 - typo.

Tried to get alkalinity up from 60 to 90-120 and ph down from 8.1 to 7.5 prior to slam.

Tried to raise fc to 28 yesterday by adding 6 gallons of bleach. Assume I overshot the 28 because I have lots of a white powdery substance on the floor and cya still 70/fc still 28.

9 p.m. Water looks much better with alot less white residue on the floor. FC of 28 and CC of 4. Mission accomplished? Thx in advance.

First of the three criteria for a successful SLAM is crystal clear water. Second is a CC of 0.5 ppm or less in the AM test. The last is passing the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

You have many days left.

TA is best kept between 60 and 80 ppm to reduce pH rise.

No. Your TA will fall as you keep your pH in the 7's. Hopefully once your TA is back in a normal range your pH rise will lessen.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Rain does very little to your chemistry except raise the pH due to aeration. Unless it is of Ark building proportions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.