pH is down, TA remains constant. What's going on?

Mendy48

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2018
Midland, MI
So I've checked my pH repeatedly and I'm getting 7.3 with my calibrated pH meter. However, I don't think it's accurate because my reading (when using the attached image) is a bit different. I'm getting a 7.8 with this image. I'm about to throw my pH meter out the window. I mean, I calibrate this pH meter every time I use it, but for some reason, I'm not getting accurate readings with it. I'm just now noticing that my pH is high. Has anyone run across this problem...

my FC is 10.5... just tested it and my TA is 120.... petty much stays around 120 (though is does fluctuate sometimes at a +/- 10ppm).

Ugh...what should I do. I want to trust my eyes and just adjust my pH now or should I wait until my FC falls below 10? Not sure if it really matters at this point. "cause my pool is being closed on Wednesday and I need to get my pH in check. Just confused as to what's going on.

BTW: pool temperature is about 55 deg.
IMG_0788.jpg

Mendy:

You just answered your own question. TC is 10.5 (usually over 10 not 100% accurate, or accurate at all), but you are close enough, so I would say this is one of the reasons. You have high TA which raises PH to begin with and also the addition of chlorine raises PH. As chlorine burns off, your PH will stabilize as well. Allow your levels to drop and then test PH again. Please make sure that your water is mixed thoroughly (all depends on your circulation system), but after 2 hours of mixing, you can test. Allow your levels to drop to around 5 ppm before testing again.

And, is your testing with the K-1000 and your meter all at the same time? The levels should be fairly similar.

- - - Updated - - -

I test for PH and FC up to the sky, not behind a white paper and always outdoor. This is what Taylor recommends. Some people use white backing, but I know that when this was done my readings changed as well.

Yeah! For sure I'll wait.. my pH was actually going down and my TA was constant. My reading with the k-1000 was taken at the same time of my meter and the numbers were wayyyyyy off. The levels should have been similar but they weren't. I don't trust my pH meter at all anymore. I think I'll stick with the K1000 for now.

My pool is going to be closed on Wednesday (this Wednesday), so I wanted to make sure that my pH was within an acceptable range. I'm confident that it's gone up. With an FC of 10.5, I don't know if I'll have time to wait for my FC to come down because I have no sun and it's completely cold here. I'm hoping it will get down to a 9 so I can retest it, but I'm sure it won't. I don't lose much FC during the day anymore.

Mmmmm... Im thinking of adding 10oz of MA for now and calling it a day. My last accurate pH reading was weeks ago at a pH of 7.6. I'm sure it's gone up since then. Ugh. I'll wait to see how my FC is tomorrow or Tuesday I guess. I need a "pool" break.

Mmmm...don't get mad.. because my reading was high with the visual test, and at a fc of 10.5, I added 10oz of MA 30 min ago. I won't add anything anymore. I'm done. I think I was a bit worried. I just saw your note and I just about slapped myself. Ugh.. what's wrong with me. Anyhow, I'll wait for my FC to fall below 10..retest...and see where my pH falls.

I'm so mad at myself right now. I'm questioning all decision making I do as it relates to my pool...and my hubby is no help. Ugh.

Kind of sad!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.