My pool adventure

Thanks mate :cheers:
I see that you have used a proper skimmer and placed it in right position, good on you :goodjob: .
That will probably be my biggest grip when my build i done. Beacuse of the way I placed the skimmer I can't afford to put in as thick coping as you have used, if I do, I will have a mile down to the water :hammer:

Once again opti! lovely colour match between coping, tile and pavers and the outcome will be fabulous after the plaster is applied. And even more so if you choose to go with white plaster :goodjob:

Have a nice weekend!

//Mats

Hiyas Mats,

I wish I could take credit for the skimmer.... but I shall pass on your compliment to the pool builder :goodjob:

It will be white plaster!!! But again, I can't take credit... all color choices come straight from the wife. :bowdown:

If it were up to me I am completely confident that I would screw that up, I'm fortunate that her strengths complement my weaknesses.

Filled overnight last night !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :party:

PB said he'd be back Monday to start it up...

Of course that meant that I started it up without him to commence brushing and filtration.....

So I primed the pump, bled the air out of the filter, and started on low speed.

She's running full steam now and I gave it the first brushing.

Question is. How hard should I brush, and how often? I went light the first time, basically enough pressure to see the cloud. And. Short strokes or long strokes?

Thank you everyone for all of there help and comments throughout the process. I couldn't be happier.

Congratulations :goodjob: :party: :cheers:

Usually (at least here) we use a brush-vacuum that sucks the plaster dust (the cloud you are seeing) out and in to your filter while brushing. You are moving the dust around at this point in to suspension, which will most likely make the start up man's job a little harder :shock: If it was still on the walls, as he brushed he would be sucking it up and would get about 90% of it out of the pool.

You can brush too hard or too much, and probably not for too long either! I would brush as many times a day as you are able for the next 2 weeks. That will get you a nice smooth finished product!

Enjoy :whoot: :whoot:

Typically, no vacuuming for at least a month! If you have debris that must be removed, a SOFT RUBBER edged scoop net may be used gently after the 10 days. Cold water cures slower. Cold water is less than 55 degrees.

Run filter continuously. Backwash when pressure rises 10 PSI from start point.

Week 1 Brush 2X a day towards the drain. Shut off skimmer. Then 1X/day for the next 21 days.

Check Chems! Keep Under pH 7.4. It will tend to rise for it's 1st year, slowing it's rate of increase as the year progresses. Use Muriatic acid to lower pH.

When adding acid, dilute it 4-5 parts water to 1 part acid. Pour acid in water, never the other way around! Pour from far slope towards the deep, slowing as the pool gets shallower.

No Chlorine for 10 days. The use enough Clorox bleach after 10 days to get a .5 ppm residual. After 20 days, bring it up to 1 ppm, after 28 days, 3ppm. No algaecides as they can stain. After 28-35 days, balance for a plaster pool. Remember, cold water slows the cure some. The colder, the slower. The use of Clorox bleach is suggested because of it's known qualities and you won't have any powder dissolving issues. Great Value brand is also suitable.

When brushing ceases to produce dust of any substance, the plaster is cured enough to be able to be vacuumed, balanced, and swam in (water temp issue aside). It is now safe to turn on the heater, if applicable and to set the timing to what is appropriate for your system. I didn't read your entire thread so I don't know what equipment you have.

Test your fill water ASAP for metals as well as the usually stuff. Add a sequesterant if needed. Do it ASAP. Stains in fresh plaster set and are much harder to remove with fresh, uncured plaster.

Add 3-4 days to each step for each 10 degrees colder water the water is. Results from adding acid to lower pH will take at least 6-10 hours to take effect.

HTH,

Scott

Thank you both !!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

simicrintz said:
You can brush too hard or too much, and probably not for too long either! I would brush as many times a day as you are able for the next 2 weeks. That will get you a nice smooth finished product!

Simi -- Did you mean can't brush too much/hard. Or I can?

Scott. Thank you I have printed that out :)

The water temp is about 68 degrees.
PH is 7.2
AOK on NO chlorine

Got ya.

The brush the PB left is what I would describe as a whale tail... I did notice that it "chattered" the first time on the down stroke. So I switch to up-stroking the walls. :oops:

Just completed my 2nd brushing of the day -- not much cloudiness, I shall brush 2x again tomorrow....

Just for my knowledge. Why no vacuuming?

Thanks again.

The plaster can get pulled off the wall with a vacuum and leave tire track marks with a Polaris type pool sweep.. Pick up a regular nylon bristle pool brush at a pool store. They are not expensive.

You don't want to brush with up strokes. Down strokes only, towards the bottom drains.

How long did the fill take?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will hit the pool store tomorrow for the brush.

I ran two hoses, ~14 hours.

Thanks again for all of the input.

As the color has turned from green to more clear, I can see some "imperfections". For example, vertical streaking on 1 corner, a dark impression on the wall, and an orange streak on the floor in the shallow end. I personally do not find them overly oppressive, but they are noticeable....

Am I stuck with these or is it still on the earlier side?

Optoman said:
Will get the water tested for metals while I grab the brush.
Will get pics in the morning.
Will call PB bright and early :whip:
Plastering occured yesterday.

So, how did it all turn out. Have you posted final pictures anywhere? Anxious to see and hear. Hope you've had a trouble free wonderful summer with your new pool.

Are you doing the BBB method. How about your neighbor? Are you having a who has the best water contest? Who is winning?

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.