This one is for me....

As much of a pain as the HOA's can be, I'm actually thrilled to have one. Our last neighborhood did not have an HOA and I would have given anything to have one... You'd have a beautiful house with amazing landscape next to a car farmer that thought his house should be 12 different shades of pink :pukel:, trashcans left at the curb for all of eternity, weeds growing everywhere....

As for audio, I'll install several flush ceiling speakers in the patio, 5 or 6 more around the pool and at least one of the buried subwoofers. This house has nothing for audio now so I'm starting from scratch. This has proven to be especially painful because I had whole home audio at the last house with over 40 speakers - you couldn't get away from the music. I don't even have surround sound for the TV yet :thumbdown:

- - - Updated - - -

Ah Kim - you remeber.....

Corona, CA Pool Build - Page 6

look into nuvo’s new profile line. As long as u can get speakers in rooms and get wires to the unit u can tie them all together over the network like Sonos. Just bigger amps.

Around here, the HOAs are managed by a management company but they operate under the direction of the board, which is all residents. What typically happens is nobody is interested in running for the board so the people you don’t really want running your neighborhood end up getting to make all the decisions.

look into nuvo’s new profile line. As long as u can get speakers in rooms and get wires to the unit u can tie them all together over the network like Sonos. Just bigger amps.

I'll look into it. I already have a large amp though and installing hardwired speakers isn't much of an issue for me. I have grown to appreciate the reliability of that type of system too
Around here, the HOAs are managed by a management company but they operate under the direction of the board, which is all residents. What typically happens is nobody is interested in running for the board so the people you don’t really want running your neighborhood end up getting to make all the decisions.

That's why I need to get on the board!

That's why I need to get on the board!

That's what I did - only way for me to keep myself from wondering what might happen.

We are only a neighborhood of 8 homes - we really should be just a road association. I try to keep in mind that the "rules" are about keeping things sane - we have a great group of homeowners, so there isn't much to do - it is really just about "meetings" to satisfy the state rules. On occasion we have to decide about some real HOA stuff, but not often.

Might consider light guage steel framing. Basically C channels screwed together. Much lighter and 2-4" shallower than LVLs. Metwood is a company we deal with on East coast. There are few others on West coast. They can also custom build a beam out of c channels with rebar welded inside corners to achieve 48' span. I have found it to be cheaper than LVLs

Might consider light guage steel framing. Basically C channels screwed together. Much lighter and 2-4" shallower than LVLs. Metwood is a company we deal with on East coast. There are few others on West coast. They can also custom build a beam out of c channels with rebar welded inside corners to achieve 48' span. I have found it to be cheaper than LVLs

Never heard of it. Sounds interesting.

The problem with a lot of that out of the box type Solutions is that they're only good if an engineer is comfortable working with them. Same goes for the city plan checkers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In NJ I have built a few additions that had crazy spans and roof tie ins that had the inspector scratching his head. sometimes me too just looking at what is drawn and the specs, but they CANT say no if theres an engineers stamp on the drawing. Once that stamp is on the plan the responsibility falls on the engineer the town only inspects to see that the plan was executed correctly. its amazing with todays engineered material and even the lightweight steel C channels what you can do.

No I hadn't and that's an interesting idea that I'll discuss with the engineer.

There is no equipment access though and the thought of firing those into the ground with no idea where the plumbing and electrical runs are can make things exciting
How did they dig the pool? Helical screws can be screwed in with an attachment on a skidder. You might consider spending five hundred bucks on a ground penetrating radar service to locate your plumbing. Electrical shouldn’t be hard to find by conventional methods.

I starting doing blueprints about 12 years ago and my Dad had a good friend that was a structural engineer that he set me up with. This guy took the time to work with me and give guidance through the years...we often laugh about the first set of plans I took to him to get engineered that probably didn't look much better than toddler doodles and likely made less sense. He was patient enough to work with me and got me to the point where I progressed designing complicated structures and even custom houses.

I have always really appreciated that he always worked with the way that I wanted something designed because he knew that I was the one that was going to have to actually build it. That is far from the case with many others that just go with what is easier for them to engineer.

He called today and said he couldn't do my plans because he was retiring :(. I knew this day was coming but hadn't expected it to come so soon - especially with my own project in the works.

Now i get to go hunting for a new engineer :thumbdown:

NO!!! He can't/won't make this his last one? Does he know it is for YOUR home? I have such a sad for you. Maybe you can bribe him with something???

Kim:kim:

I tried but he said his house is already in escrow and he's moving to Nebraska. He said once he's done he wants to be done which I completely understand because I'm somewhat dealing with the same issue right now.

He probably could get it done in time but there's surely going to be Corrections required from the city which means that we would have to mail the plans back and forth and go through that whole hassle...

I got it engineering quote back from a guy that quoted me 10 times what my previous engineer would have charged and he didn't want to use my plans :scratch:

Surely your old guy could recommend someone??

Maddie :flower:

I had asked but he laughed and said no. Kind of like giving up the competition?

There are no shortage of Engineers out there but I'm finding that there are few that are willing to work with me the way that he did. He always told me how rare it was to have somebody that designed and built their own projects.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.