Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: This one is for me....

1. Back To Top    #61

TFP Guide

Re: This one is for me....

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    I need 4 posts - A moment post base and wood 6x6 post is about $200 so about $1000 total

A steel post and flange is about $1000. It needs to get cut and welded, the welder needs to be certified and the weld needs to be inspected. There will be 2 welds at two different times on each post. Probably in the neighborhood of $5,000....just for posts

I'm hoping I can get away with welding it myself and hopefully the inspector will appreciate my safety gear: shirtless, shorts, and flip flops and the ladder in 3' deep in the pool. I'll have a pool noodle keeping the 220v extension cord out of the water. I can probably clip the ground clamp onto one of my nipple rings

Check out my skillz!

Attachment 87972
    NO more 1:00AM posting for you!!!

It was pretty funny though...
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #62

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    B, oh you are certified alright but I am willing to bet it is NOT the kind they are looking for

Has he said WHY he wants steel instead of wood?

Will you be using that neat foam stuff on your ceiling like you did on the build you just did?

Kim
    Steel is much more rigid and has way higher capacities than wood. If I had 8 wood posts (like this patio should have) then wood posts would be no problem at all....but who wants posts eveywhere???

As for the foam, I'll have a similar crown molding coffered ceiling look

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    NO more 1:00AM posting for you!!!

It was pretty funny though...
    West coast time - It was only 10 here and I was at work which shows how truly demented I am. Maybe I wasn't joking

It was more of a preemptive strike before Matt could get his slam in...
    -Brian-

Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment

3. Back To Top    #63

That makes sense then......it is also a good idea. Like you say who wants 8 posts when you can have only 4. GOODY on the crown molding coffered ceiling look!!!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #64

Check out my skillz!

Attachment 87972
    5D4E16AA-E354-4950-8837-EA1DD5B76909.jpeg

Please hire a welder....
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #65

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    The guy down the street had a Welding for dummies book at a garage sale and I bought it. I didn't understand most of it but I sure stepped up my game

Screenshot_20181105-201940~2.jpg
    -Brian-

6. Back To Top    #66

The guy down the street had a Welding for dummies book at a garage sale and I bought it. I didn't understand most of it but I sure stepped up my game

Screenshot_20181105-201940~2.jpg
    Very nice work!!

I worked with a guy in our machine shop who was a war vet and learned to weld in the Navy (Vietnam). That guy forgot more about welding than anyone around him ever learned. He could weld any material and make the weld joints look like works of art. I swear he welded a fitting together for me once and it looked like the part was one cast piece of metal. He was truly an artisan....and huge Pink Floyd fan.

Anyway, now all you need is a carbon fiber pen, some electropolishing solution and a decent power supply and you can make that weld joint shine like a mirror.....
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #67

In the Industry

Anyway, now all you need is a carbon fiber pen, some electropolishing solution and a decent power supply and you can make that weld joint shine like a mirror.....
    Fine, here you go...

Screenshot_20181105-210612~2.jpg

This "good" weld looks like something a dog would extrude

Screenshot_20181105-210430~2.jpg

-Brian-

8. Back To Top    #68

You two!
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #69

You are indeed a man of many surprises ...

9D59B705-C253-4B34-B242-2EA4B24FAC70.jpeg
    Matt

10. Back To Top    #70

Please hire a welder....

and huge Pink Floyd fan.
    I like him already!!

P.S nice weld Brian!!
    ~Rob
    11,000 gallon in ground plaster pebbletech finish. Hayward Tristar VS, Hayward Swimclear, and Hayward Aquanaut 200 pool vac, K-2006 Kit, Speedstir.
    FC/CYA Chart-Finding a suction side air leak>https://youtu.be/eweIDTnJCUw

11. Back To Top    #71

In the Industry

You are indeed a man of many surprises ...
    The Interweb - turning lackluster lives into anything you want it to be since Al Gore created it
    -Brian-

12. Back To Top    #72

In the Industry

So here's the compromise the engineer came up with. How fun is that going to be to dig???

Screenshot_20181104-193502~2.jpg
    -Brian-

13. Back To Top    #73

So here's the compromise the engineer came up with. How fun is that going to be to dig???

Screenshot_20181104-193502~2.jpg
    I have a very light weight plastic garden trowel (I think one of the kids got it with their happy meal) that you can borrow to dig the hole .... though it might be hard to get down to 5ft if your arms arenít long enough
    Matt

14. Back To Top    #74

In the Industry

I have a very light weight plastic garden trowel (I think one of the kids got it with their happy meal) that you can borrow to dig the hole .... though it might be hard to get down to 5ft if your arms aren’t long enough
    I think I can hold you upside down by your ankles and lower you into the hole with your trowel.

So I can have these footings or a moment frame with a grade beam.
    -Brian-

15. Back To Top    #75

I think I can hold you upside down by your ankles and lower you into the hole with your trowel.

So I can have these footings or a moment frame with a grade beam.
    Is the moment frame steel I-beam or wood? The grade beam would require a lot more patio demolition, correct?
    Matt

16. Back To Top    #76

In the Industry

Is the moment frame steel I-beam or wood? The grade beam would require a lot more patio demolition, correct?
    The moment frame is a prefabbed job from Simpson. It is not cost effective.

The grade beam would probably mean I have to demo all the concrete and it will interfere with the main pool plumbing run... Not really an option
    -Brian-

17. Back To Top    #77

That is a whole keg of beers worth of work right there!

18. Back To Top    #78

The moment frame is a prefabbed job from Simpson. It is not cost effective.

The grade beam would probably mean I have to demo all the concrete and it will interfere with the main pool plumbing run... Not really an option
    RIP IT ALL OUT! Time to redo the entire backyard....clearly the developer was a moron and not up to your standards....

- - - Updated - - -

I’ll bring my plastic trowel...we’ll get started right away with demolition.

CALL IN THE WANGER!!!
    Matt

19. Back To Top    #79

Hydro vac excavation. As long as your soil is tight, a good wand man can cut a pretty clean hole. How many holes do you have? Vac truck and one operator for a day will run about $2500.
    17' x 30' rectangle pool, two 7' x 7' baja decks, 6' x 8' raised spa. Hayward 2HP VSP for features, filter and returns. 2HP single speed for 9 spa jets. 1HP blower for spa bubbles. In-Floor cleaning, Cartridge filter, AquaConnect automation, 400K BTU NG heater. Plaster is Stonescapes mini-pebble in Aqua Blue + abalone shell TF-100 Text from Neighbor -- They're digging your pool!

20. Back To Top    #80

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by BigEinAZ View Post
    Hydro vac excavation. As long as your soil is tight, a good wand man can cut a pretty clean hole. How many holes do you have? Vac truck and one operator for a day will run about $2500.
    4 footings.

Now that you mention it I have access to an air knife and a 185 cfm compressor...I never would have thought of that.

I still don't think it'll go 5' though
    -Brian-

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast