Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This one is for me....

1. Back To Top    #21

Re: This one is for me....

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    As much of a pain as the HOA's can be, I'm actually thrilled to have one. Our last neighborhood did not have an HOA and I would have given anything to have one... You'd have a beautiful house with amazing landscape next to a car farmer that thought his house should be 12 different shades of pink , trashcans left at the curb for all of eternity, weeds growing everywhere....

As for audio, I'll install several flush ceiling speakers in the patio, 5 or 6 more around the pool and at least one of the buried subwoofers. This house has nothing for audio now so I'm starting from scratch. This has proven to be especially painful because I had whole home audio at the last house with over 40 speakers - you couldn't get away from the music. I don't even have surround sound for the TV yet

- - - Updated - - -

Ah Kim - you remeber.....

Corona, CA Pool Build - Page 6
    look into nuvo’s new profile line. As long as u can get speakers in rooms and get wires to the unit u can tie them all together over the network like Sonos. Just bigger amps.
    TFP - Come for advice, stay for the education, leave with knowledge -
    35x23/20 free form gunite 3.5-6 feet water. 20,000 gallons. 2 skim, 2 ret, floor ret, floor return. 2 inch solid. suction cleaning line. 1.5 inch solid. super blue diamond brite. NPT Gemstone Blue 2x2 with custom Disney Mickey markers. pentair equipment. master temp 300,000 BTU. de 60. inteliflo 3.0 VS. swg ic40. 3 globrite LED's. ET 4/SL. tf-100/ salt kit

2. Back To Top    #22

Around here, the HOAs are managed by a management company but they operate under the direction of the board, which is all residents. What typically happens is nobody is interested in running for the board so the people you donít really want running your neighborhood end up getting to make all the decisions.
    Houston area | Geometric pool | 12,000 gal | 40x7x13 | Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST | Pentair 420 Cartridge Filter | Pentair Mastertemp Heater | Globrite LEDx3 | Easytouch PS-4

3. Back To Top    #23

B, I had forgotten that wonderful story! So nice to see she has grown up and is enjoying the good life! Thanks for the reminder!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #24

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by jimim View Post
    look into nuvo’s new profile line. As long as u can get speakers in rooms and get wires to the unit u can tie them all together over the network like Sonos. Just bigger amps.
    I'll look into it. I already have a large amp though and installing hardwired speakers isn't much of an issue for me. I have grown to appreciate the reliability of that type of system too
    Quote Originally Posted by Poolbella View Post
    Around here, the HOAs are managed by a management company but they operate under the direction of the board, which is all residents. What typically happens is nobody is interested in running for the board so the people you don’t really want running your neighborhood end up getting to make all the decisions.
    That's why I need to get on the board!
    -Brian-

Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment

5. Back To Top    #25

That's why I need to get on the board!
    That's what I did - only way for me to keep myself from wondering what might happen.

We are only a neighborhood of 8 homes - we really should be just a road association. I try to keep in mind that the "rules" are about keeping things sane - we have a great group of homeowners, so there isn't much to do - it is really just about "meetings" to satisfy the state rules. On occasion we have to decide about some real HOA stuff, but not often.
    2015 Build Link: 15'x30' Rectangle (3'-6", 5', 4' depth) 14,000 Gallon Gunite Pool, Finish: Wet Edge Primera Stone Black Kona. TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin DX5+S Robot, Jandy CL460 Filter, Jandy VS 2HP pump, AquaPure 1400 SWG, iAqualink2, Dark Green Cover Pools Automatic Safety Cover, Jandy Nicheless white 20W LED lights, No Heater

6. Back To Top    #26

Have you considered helical piers in lieu of conventional footings?
    17' x 30' rectangle pool, two 7' x 7' baja decks, 6' x 8' raised spa. Hayward 2HP VSP for features, filter and returns. 2HP single speed for 9 spa jets. 1HP blower for spa bubbles. In-Floor cleaning, Cartridge filter, AquaConnect automation, 400K BTU NG heater. Plaster is Stonescapes mini-pebble in Aqua Blue + abalone shell TF-100 Text from Neighbor -- They're digging your pool!

7. Back To Top    #27

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by BigEinAZ View Post
    Have you considered helical piers in lieu of conventional footings?
    No I hadn't and that's an interesting idea that I'll discuss with the engineer.

There is no equipment access though and the thought of firing those into the ground with no idea where the plumbing and electrical runs are can make things exciting
    -Brian-

8. Back To Top    #28

Might consider light guage steel framing. Basically C channels screwed together. Much lighter and 2-4" shallower than LVLs. Metwood is a company we deal with on East coast. There are few others on West coast. They can also custom build a beam out of c channels with rebar welded inside corners to achieve 48' span. I have found it to be cheaper than LVLs

9. Back To Top    #29

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by vermaraj View Post
    Might consider light guage steel framing. Basically C channels screwed together. Much lighter and 2-4" shallower than LVLs. Metwood is a company we deal with on East coast. There are few others on West coast. They can also custom build a beam out of c channels with rebar welded inside corners to achieve 48' span. I have found it to be cheaper than LVLs
    Never heard of it. Sounds interesting.

The problem with a lot of that out of the box type Solutions is that they're only good if an engineer is comfortable working with them. Same goes for the city plan checkers.
    -Brian-

10. Back To Top    #30

Most of the suppliers will do the engineering and provide stamped drawings. These products are used frequently in commercial work.

11. Back To Top    #31

In NJ I have built a few additions that had crazy spans and roof tie ins that had the inspector scratching his head. sometimes me too just looking at what is drawn and the specs, but they CANT say no if theres an engineers stamp on the drawing. Once that stamp is on the plan the responsibility falls on the engineer the town only inspects to see that the plan was executed correctly. its amazing with todays engineered material and even the lightweight steel C channels what you can do.
    14x30 IG 13,000gal "full DIY in progress" hayward automation, aquaplus swg T15, hayward swimclear 525 sqft. cartridge filter, hayward ecostar vsp3400, raypak 266btu NG cupro-nickel heater, dolphin S200 robot

12. Back To Top    #32

No I hadn't and that's an interesting idea that I'll discuss with the engineer.

There is no equipment access though and the thought of firing those into the ground with no idea where the plumbing and electrical runs are can make things exciting
    How did they dig the pool? Helical screws can be screwed in with an attachment on a skidder. You might consider spending five hundred bucks on a ground penetrating radar service to locate your plumbing. Electrical shouldn’t be hard to find by conventional methods.
    17' x 30' rectangle pool, two 7' x 7' baja decks, 6' x 8' raised spa. Hayward 2HP VSP for features, filter and returns. 2HP single speed for 9 spa jets. 1HP blower for spa bubbles. In-Floor cleaning, Cartridge filter, AquaConnect automation, 400K BTU NG heater. Plaster is Stonescapes mini-pebble in Aqua Blue + abalone shell TF-100 Text from Neighbor -- They're digging your pool!

13. Back To Top    #33

In the Industry

The pool was no doubt dug with a skid steer but with the way the pool is situated now access would be extremely difficult to get a machine where the footings need to go.
    -Brian-

14. Back To Top    #34

In the Industry

I starting doing blueprints about 12 years ago and my Dad had a good friend that was a structural engineer that he set me up with. This guy took the time to work with me and give guidance through the years...we often laugh about the first set of plans I took to him to get engineered that probably didn't look much better than toddler doodles and likely made less sense. He was patient enough to work with me and got me to the point where I progressed designing complicated structures and even custom houses.

I have always really appreciated that he always worked with the way that I wanted something designed because he knew that I was the one that was going to have to actually build it. That is far from the case with many others that just go with what is easier for them to engineer.

He called today and said he couldn't do my plans because he was retiring . I knew this day was coming but hadn't expected it to come so soon - especially with my own project in the works.

Now i get to go hunting for a new engineer
    -Brian-

15. Back To Top    #35

NO!!! He can't/won't make this his last one? Does he know it is for YOUR home? I have such a sad for you. Maybe you can bribe him with something???

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #36

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    NO!!! He can't/won't make this his last one? Does he know it is for YOUR home? I have such a sad for you. Maybe you can bribe him with something???

Kim
    I tried but he said his house is already in escrow and he's moving to Nebraska. He said once he's done he wants to be done which I completely understand because I'm somewhat dealing with the same issue right now.

He probably could get it done in time but there's surely going to be Corrections required from the city which means that we would have to mail the plans back and forth and go through that whole hassle...

I got it engineering quote back from a guy that quoted me 10 times what my previous engineer would have charged and he didn't want to use my plans
    -Brian-

17. Back To Top    #37

Surely your old guy could recommend someone??

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

18. Back To Top    #38

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Surely your old guy could recommend someone??

Maddie
    I had asked but he laughed and said no. Kind of like giving up the competition?

There are no shortage of Engineers out there but I'm finding that there are few that are willing to work with me the way that he did. He always told me how rare it was to have somebody that designed and built their own projects.
    -Brian-

19. Back To Top    #39

I have a good friend up here in Northern California (Silicon Valley/South SF Bay Area) who is a very good engineer that I would happily recommend - but that is probably too far away for you...
    2015 Build Link: 15'x30' Rectangle (3'-6", 5', 4' depth) 14,000 Gallon Gunite Pool, Finish: Wet Edge Primera Stone Black Kona. TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin DX5+S Robot, Jandy CL460 Filter, Jandy VS 2HP pump, AquaPure 1400 SWG, iAqualink2, Dark Green Cover Pools Automatic Safety Cover, Jandy Nicheless white 20W LED lights, No Heater

20. Back To Top    #40

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by santacruzpool View Post
    I have a good friend up here in Northern California (Silicon Valley/South SF Bay Area) who is a very good engineer that I would happily recommend - but that is probably too far away for you...
    Much appreciated. I found a guy that is at least making it sound like he's going to work out. I'll let you know if that isn't the case. Thank you
    -Brian-

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast