Paid the last check, now how do I get the list done???

Aug 17, 2009
Montgomery, Texas
I should have known better. I paid my last small draw but yet I have the following list, and one is a biggie. I build homes for a living, you think I would have been hip to the game and not made the biggest mistake.

1. The heater for the spa is 1 foot from a window in my bedroom. According to the manual there needs to be a minimum of 4' of clearance. The thing is already hooked up and running so it will be a moderate amount of work to move it.

2. I can't operate the spa heater temp from the intellitouch remote.

3. The lights to the spa and pool are crossed and now 2 of the lights when turned on trip the GFI.

4. The fill line and drain line need to be connected.

5. The test kit, brush, and vaccuum have still not been delivered, and no pool school yet.

We're pretty ticked at this point, seeing how we started 8/15 on this pool!! I'm going to give the guy 1 week and then possibly file a small claims court summons. I don't know what else to do. He's been pretty good on doing stuff but never 100%. My pet peeve!!!

Most of my complaints weren't addressed until long after the final payment was made... but I would urge you to make a list requesting changes (you know that they MUST fix anything that isn't up to code) and mail it to the pool builder. Don't bother giving him/her a deadline unless you could otherwise be swimming right now. If you don't get any response in a couple of weeks that's when you should talk personally to the builder. Claims court is a last resort and your warranty should give you plenty of time to redress issues that weren't done to your satisfaction.

I assume it is too late to stop payment on your check? My last payment was $3300, but we held back $1300 until everything on my list was completed.

I agree with Polyvue, although I WOULD give a deadline, otherwise they can just keep pushing you off. I'd send a registered letter with your list and stress the safety and code issues. Ask for his proof of insurance in case there is a fire due to the heater or from the gfi not tripping when the lights are on, etc. I know the real chance of this happeneing is low, but you need to make the guy think about the liability issues and what his insurance company would think to know he's not installing things to code.

Then, if they are not out there in a week or two, I'd talk to a lawyer and have them draft a letter.

The heater issue is a big concern. The reason for it to be so far from a window is CO2. Do not open that window! How did that get past an inspector? Or the Gas Plumber (he should have refused till it was moved)

The setting of the spa temp is only active when the system is in spa mode and the heater is turned on. By default, it's off and has a button on the Mobi so you can control when you want to turn it on. I don't know what heater you have but many need to be set to their highest setting. The automation system's temp sensor then determines when to send the signal to fire the heater. If the heater is set to 85 and the desired temp is 90, it aint happenin. Set the heater to 103 or 104 and the automation will sense when 90 is reached and turn off/on as needed.

What kind of lights? Are they both in the pool? On the same relay and supposed to turn on at the same time. Is there a 3rd light, run separately?

Be a squeaky wheel. Document everything. Be firm, be right but try to let there be some flexibility. Let him know that you would prefer to not have to be difficult, but you want it right. Your check was right. The pool isn't.

Scott
PoolGuyNJ

1. Move that heater, or have it moved ASAP. Not good.

2. When you say you can't operate the spa heater temp from the IntelliTouch remote, can you be more specific? What exactly does not work? As was explained by PoolGuyNJ, the heater itself has to be maxed out on the digital display for the automation system to be able to properly control it.

3. The lights to the pool and spa are crossed? The only time a GFI should trip is if there is a light not connected properly, or there is water in the fixture itself (bad gasket). Any chance of a few more details here?

4. The fill line, I assume you're talking about the autofill, right? That should be an easy thing to have connected in an hour or two. The drain line, any more specifics? Are we talking about the main drain?

5. The lack of a promised test kit, vacuum, or pool education is just crappy customer service, IMO. No excuse for that, whatsoever.

If I were you, I'd definitely consider filing something in court and presenting the papers to the PB, or having him served by a process server. This might convince him to get his a** in gear and finish up your "list."

Sorry, but 4 months on a pool is a ridiculous amount of time, unless you're dealing with a full-on backyard remodel/new construction then it's not too bad.

We have one pool/backyard that took over a year to complete, but it also cost the homeowner $1.6M, so yeah.... go get him!

1. It's happening now. I poured a new pad and we'll plumb tomorrow. Benefit is that we'll have less 90's and thus less stress on the pump. He told me that we'd have to put a screw in the window for any inspector. I guess I was warned.

2. You were correct, the electrician is a whiz on the Pentair box and set that up for me.

3. Elect. wired the lights correct in the box. One light behind the island has water in it. Pentair will have to replace it.

4. I don't have an auto fil, just a line to the spigot that eliminates the need for the hose. It's run, just needs the fittings. Not sure about the drain line, I need to find where it runs to (the end of the pipe).

5. I'll get my stuff. I think he's strapped on cash or something.

Glad you're getting some resolution in all of this.

While this is a tough time in the pool construction industry, I am glad that my brother (boss) saw this coming and made preparations to deal with it.

We're busier than snot lately, and when things don't get done it's because we have too much to do, not because we don't have the capital to do them.

I thank God for that every day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.