which 3 way?

Hayseed

Bronze Supporter
Jun 7, 2018
Keyser, WV
I am in the process of installing a solar heat system to pool. In going through searches, to buy a three way valve, I have found too many variations of the same thing but different scenario. I don't know which valve to buy. I search eBay, and Amazon, find something that looks sufficient, then read the reviews. One valve that I was going to get, had a weird review, and I don't even know if what was stated in the review was going to effect my application. It stated that this valve he found would not completely stop the flow from one to the other, and ya di ya di ya di. I know this forum does not advertise brand products, being self sufficient. But I need to find a good three way valve for my application and am not tech savvy enough to know what that might be. Other than using the price as a guide to being an indicator of what is better, I know nothing else. I need help choosing a valve for my needs, one that does the job, and does not cost arm and leg. I saw one demo of a system, and it had in its line up, a three way valve, and stated it to be a non-positive unit. Searched then for non-positive units and could not find any. Don't even know what positive and non positive valve is. Nor do. Know which I should use. Please call out the Calvary, and send help and information thanks.

I would suggest the Pentair Solar 3-way, which has a built-in internal check valve to better allow panel draining. That is what I have ;) ... anther option is the Jandy Neverlube and then often people drill a small hole in the diverter to allow draining, but this would allow water to pass through toward the solar as well.

You will still need the 2 additional check valves. One between filter and solar 3-way and on on the solar return prior to teeing back into the main line. Suggest the Jandy's or Pentair for that as well. Or get a Flo-Vis to use on the one between the filter and solar valve.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you already have a solar controller? If not, I think the Pentair Suntouch (or SolarTouch) comes with the valve and actuator and controller for less than you can buy part separately.

- - - Updated - - -

Amazon.com : Pentair Water Pool and Spa 521592 Solar System with Solar Valve for Swimming Pool : Garden Outdoor

Pentair 3 way valve? Which one are you talking about? I guess the one you described is the ony one like this they make. But pentair like others make many different style 3 way valves. Do you have the part number of the pentair valve you have been using. Talking of jandy valves and drilling holes into them, leaves more questions then answers. So no help there. Thanks for your help. Need the specific pentair model number so I can get it ordered. I am wanting the two inch model not the model that is also for 1 1/2, that model would cut the flow. Better to get the 2 to 2 1/2 model.

What is the drain down all about! I guess this is where the drill a hole in the other valve, comes in. I guess I will continue looking. I did not want to spend this much, I already have a fortune in the different fittings, ball valves, check valves, pipe. You name it I bought it.

When water is not flowing through the pump the panel should not be left full of water in the Sun as they can get extremely hot, soften the plastic, and if the roof is sloped significantly damage the panels.

I was not aware of this trapping water in the panel. Have not heard this mentioned till now. You would think with all the diagrams and videos I have watched, covering this subject to try to do this job right, one of them would have mentioned this. oh well, this seems not the place to cut corners, thanks for your bringing this to my attn. now I am having a bad time trying to find the vacuum release valves. Do you have a vendors name I could go to for this? I found metal ones, can these be plumbed into the pvc and work as they should? The ones I found were, I think 3/4 of an inch. Might be to small for venting 4, 4 by 12 panels, but I can't say.

IMG_7334.jpgIMG_7335.jpgThanks for your help. I am going to place the last panel, perpendicular to the rest. Since it will be installed, in this manner, I am not sure the best way to attach it to the roof. I can use clamps at the top at either end, where the fittings exit the panel, but how do you stop the middle of the 20 foot run from wanting to sag, especially after introducing water? The four panels already installed have straps running across them, but they are mainly to keep the wind from lifting them up. Is this still, the method used, in the application I am going with? I have looked for this panel installed in this way, but they never seem to show the mounting procedure? Has anyone here placed panels in this manner?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you intend to install that last panel horizontally, please insure you offset the mounting. You need to have it so the top side is 3-4” higher than the bottom. This allows for draining. You could also mount a piece of 2x2 and use it to support the bottom edge.

Are there methods here that can be shown as to how to put together the best set up for a non mechanical panel? I have research this incessantly and as many times as I looked, they were all nearly different. Some had two flow controls some just one some had three ball valves others had two. One that intrigued me had two check valves three ball valves, and a three way valve. I am not looking for simple or the least expensive, just the best method that nets the most energy. If you guys can post pics of your panels that would be great. That's funny I had warning to take curse words out of my posting, I had posted the proper name of the valve but it was just to foul mouth to use. Ball cawk valve,

The only things needed are 2 check valves and a 3-way valve. No additional valves will make things more efficient.

Shut off valves could be added as extra protection to shut off and isolate the panels for winter.

Some setups add a bypass if your solar array is not large enough to handle the full amount of flow you have, but you can achieve the same thing with just the solar 3 way valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.