17 cracks!!!

B3c3

Oct 11, 2017
TEXAS
We have had our pool for about a year. We’ve had off and on concerns about the whole process. To make matters worse half of our pool is not completely inground. We noticed cracks on the outside with calcium build it up. Sure enough the crack carried all the way through to the other side. Upon further inspection we noticed at least two more. We finally had to put our foot down and tell the pool company owner that we don’t think it’s normal at this point and we want something done. Finally he said they will drain it and go from there. Sure enough they cut out 17 cracks and at least 12 more need to be cut out!! We just want it done right and we no longer trust this company to do what is right but we don’t want to fork out money on this! We’ve requested an engineer. So we are waiting for that before the press forward. Has anyone had experience with this? Is it structural or is it indeed “normal or an easy fix” as our pool company says it is? 8306BE1B-B0B1-4280-B29C-8BF19AADBD13.jpg

How do they intend to repair the cracks? Will they use some type of concrete staple like Torque Lock Structural Systems ?

They cant just fill in the cracks without structurally joining the pieces or they will crack again.

I would be worried about how the rebar was done in your gunite. It is the rebar that is supposed to structurally hold together the concrete. What reassurances do you have that the pool will not develop more cracks in tne future?

Exactly none!!! That’s what we are demanding is some sort of answers. The Gunite guy (laborer) said he would have to staple and epoxy. I showed him the rebar pictures because he asked for them and he said the work was not good. The owner of the pool company has yelled at my husband. He’s called me a liar and says there’s nothing wrong with it. We just need reassurance that this is not normal and to keep fighting it. I have no idea on how you fix something like this other than gutting it and reinforcing the rebar?

I would say it is time to consult a lawyer and hire your own independent engineer. Even one crack in the gunite is not normal for a recently built pool.

Take ALL of your build pics and print them out big so everything shows good. Sit down and talk to the PB and show him what you are seeing. We can tell you how the rebar should be spaced and tied but beyond that it will be between you and your PB (and lawyer).

Make sure EVERYTHING is in writing!

X2 on making sure you have an independent, 3rd party engineer. If it were me, I would absolutely foot the bill for an independent engineer, vs having the PB call in his buddy at no cost.

While obviously the goal is to get everything resolved amiably, it seems that the PB is already more interested in being defensive than resolution. As Kim has already said, please make sure you get EVERY LITTLE THING in writing from this point on. If the Gunite guy says that the rebar work was no good, GET THAT IN WRITING. I'd even take notes when talking to the PB on the phone. Depending on how this plays out, a little diligence in that regard now may end up paying dividends later.

I just want to say how wrong this situation is how sorry I am that you find yourself in it. I notice that you posted during your build about a crack in the gunite before plaster. At that point your pb should have done the right thing and investigated further. Thank goodness you have photos of the rebar stage. I agree that you should definitely hire an independent engineer and lawyer up. It’s not nice to have to fight, but I think you need to let them know you’re serious.

We have been through many dramas with our recent build, the latest involving a leak. There was casual talk by someone involved that if it can’t be accessed by jackhammering down to it then it will be a whole pool rip out [emoji15] I honestly felt like being sick when that was mentioned. They did find and fix the leak a foot down under the coping. I don’t think pbs have any idea about the emotional upset their lack of care and attention causes. I really feel for you but do believe you can get a good outcome if you’re prepared to fight. You are absolutely in the right here. Don’t let them make you feel like you’re not. Keep us posted. There are many experts on here who will be able to offer their professional opinion.

It's not normal. 29 cracks in a year is not good. Even when the cracks are fixed, more will probably appear.

It's not unusual for a concrete pool to get a single crack in the first year. More than one is a problem, especially if the cracks are long or go through the shell.

Two cracks in the first ten years might be acceptable. Maybe 4 in the lifetime of the pool.

I would want an independent engineer to evaluate the integrity of the shell. They might do core samples to look for thickness and quality indicators, such as compressive strength.

Thickness might be variable, so a good sample might just be a spot that's thick enough.

If you're getting settling where the pool is moving up or down, that's not good.

It might be a problem with the quality due to improper procedures. If the concrete was too hot or too cold or too wet or too dry.

Gunite is as good as shotcrete, but it takes a more experienced nozzle person. If the nozzle person wasn't experienced, they might not have done everything correctly.

Can you post pictures of the whole pool and some under construction?

Why is the pool out of the ground?

Is the yard sloped?

Did an engineer design the pool?

What were the conditions on build day.

How thick is the concrete?

Is the pool perfectly level?

Here is a resource that might be able to help. They might have an expert that can help to evaluate the situation.

Pool Engineering, Inc., Structural Design of Swimming Pools and Residential Improvement Structures

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are in a very similar situation in Austin, TX currently. Our pool is on a slope and we are getting a ton of cracks in our pool. We are trying to figure out if we should let our home builder (who was responsible for the pool builder) add 8 piers under our pool to help with stability or if we need to get a lawyer to sue and tear down the pool and start over... Please let us know how yours is going and if there was a decision on how to fix it. Thanks!

922BEE2B-D8D0-43CA-97DE-C1E34245A571.jpg Well this is our current situation. We have been very lucky so it seems. They core drilled our concrete and the psi fell short to the psi we signed our contract on of 5000 psi. The minimum requirement most engineers sign off on is 2500 psi. Ours fell right around the 2000 psi mark. They are chipping out the concrete and are coming in with a new gunnite company that will spray at the 5000 psi we had signed for. Although with all this said they still are not sure this is the reason for the cracks. We have not paid a dime yet. Thank goodness!!! I’ll keep everyone posted as we continue on with this process.

2,000 psi is weak. Definitely a contributor to the problem.

Maybe due to a bad mix or improper placement.

Gunite takes a lot of skill to do correctly.

Good to hear that they are taking care of it.

Have they looked at the steel pics and determined it was done right? Aside from the WEAK :)shock:) concrete the steel will play a huge part in your pool with it being above ground like it is.

I am SO happy to see them working on the shell! I would have LOVED to been there when the PB saw the psi report!

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.