getting cold in the valley...any worry?

Jul 2, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
So the NWA is predicting temps to fall in upper 20s tonight with snow on the valley floor on Monday. Very unusual for Sacto and surrounding area. Should I take an precautionary measures to protect the pool against the low temps? It is uncovered and the pump is running 4 hrs/day (2 in am; 2 in pm). Besides approaching weather, the pool is crystal clear and clean.

It would be quite surprising to see any ice form on a 15k pool @ 28 degrees but, if it will help your comfort level, just run the pump on when you go to bed and then shut it off after the sun is up tomorrow.

tedinelkgrove said:
So the NWA is predicting temps to fall in upper 20s tonight with snow on the valley floor on Monday. Very unusual for Sacto and surrounding area. Should I take an precautionary measures to protect the pool against the low temps? It is uncovered and the pump is running 4 hrs/day (2 in am; 2 in pm). Besides approaching weather, the pool is crystal clear and clean.
Why do you listen to such silly rumors? I'll bet that they're mistaking Celsius for Farenheit! The overnight low is actually going to be 80°F... take my word for it. :wink:

In the unlikely event that those meterologist/astrologers are correct, follow the wisdom dispensed above from those abiding on the colder side of the continent... Still, I'm holding out for 80 degrees (nevermind my frozen digits that are still thawing out after a trip to the pool this morning for testing.) :oops:

I live fairly close by and in the winter sometimes experience below freezing temperatures of at most 4-6 hours in duration but for the last 3 years, I have not used freeze protection. Minimum temperatures hardly ever go below 28 degrees and at that temperature, it would take a very long time for the water to freeze in the pipes. Generally, you will need much more time and/or much lower temperatures before the water will freeze solid and expand enough to rupture the pipes.

With an inground, most piping is belowground and it will take more than an overnight frost to penetrate. Yes the bits that are aboveground are more vulnerable, but still... pure water freezes at 32F, but pool water is not pure.
--paulr

They're predicting snow flurries in the Sacramento valley during the morning hours, with accumulations of up to 4" in the hills only 5 miles away and a thousand feet higher in elevation... all the more reason for denial. The last time I remember snow here was in January 1990 on the floating dock at Old Sacramento. The flakes came down thick for almost a minute, stuck for another two, then went the way of imagination; the clouds were replaced immediately with a brilliant star field and I was left with only a memory of childhood blizzards and March slush.

:santa:

It appears my pump has a mind of its own; the pump is running outside of the programmed run time. I turned on the PDA and it toggles back and forth between the main menu and message stating "Freeze Protect Filter Pump." According to the PDA The water temp is 47 and air temp is 35. I guess 35 is the temp which triggers freeze protect mode?

tedinelkgrove said:
It appears my pump has a mind of its own; the pump is running outside of the programmed run time. I turned on the PDA and it toggles back and forth between the main menu and message stating "Freeze Protect Filter Pump." According to the PDA The water temp is 47 and air temp is 35. I guess 35 is the temp which triggers freeze protect mode?
Same behavior as my Goldline Aqualogic PS-8 controller... tonight it switched on at 8 pm when the temp reached the trigger point I set (34° F.) so it's been cycling back and forth, 15 minutes each, between pool and spa filtering. Yes, 34 degrees at 8:00 PM!! (A collective cry goes up from those North-Western Minnesotans... "What will those poor dearies do?!")

The system allows a set point of 34-44 degrees, but nothing lower. I've a mind to shut the dam* thing off tonight. Just uses up electricity, IMO. :rant:

TV weather just told me Santa Clara Valley could dip below 20F tonight, and made noises about protecting exposed pipes. This is when a two-speed would've been a great idea... guess I'll go turn the pump back on for the night, grumpy as it makes me.
--paulr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here it is Jan and I thought all my pool equipment survived the winter freeze!...Not.

I noticed the other day that my auto-fill vacuum breaker (Wilkins 420 Pressure Vacuum Breaker 3/4") was spitting a small stream of water.

I searched for a freeze repair kit (RK12-420FK) online and they are relatively easily found ~ $40 - $50 + shipping (Ebay and Amazon), but I found one local for $18 at Ewing Irrigation in Roseville CA. This is by far the cheapest I have found this kit.

The Ewing Irrigation part number is 11020490.

Anyway hope this helps someone.

BTW Ewing Irrigation http://www.ewing1.com/ is nationwide.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.