I bought a house here with my first pool and tested it as soon as we moved in with the previous owners' OTO kit. Chlorine was between 1.5 and 3.0, a TA at around 30ppm, with a pH of 6.8.
I concentrated on the TA and got that up to 80 ppm, and the pH also rose from 6.8 to 7.2.
At that point I learned to buy a DPD test kit (from Leslie's - not a DPD-FAS) and learned my
FC was <0.5, with CC >5.
I've shocked the pool twice over the last two days, with two pounds of dichlor bags the first time and three pounds the second. Leslie's Total Dissolved Solids showed 1100 and CYA reading is 30ppm. Leslie's FC and pH readings are similar to mine, except that they showed TA 60 when mine showed 70. I don't have a CYA test ability yet.
This morning's readings: FC = <0.5, TC = 5, CC = 4.5; TA = 60, pH = 6.8.
(1) So, at this point, should I get the TA and pH back up before shocking again?
If so, and after that, (2) how long to wait before shocking again, (3) then how frequently should I shock? Weekly? Daily? Hourly? in order to oxidize the CC? (4) Am I using enough dichlor to shock given my circumstances?