Testing Kits

Jul 20, 2007
Hi, I'm new so I'm sure I will be asking ALOT of stupid questions, so here's my first one:

I bought a house with a pool that was only about 1 1/2 yrs old. It a gunite pool, SWG, 24,000 gal. and we just love it. My problems is - I am color blind mostly to shades, so this water testing thing is driving me completly crazy. At first, I just took samples to the pool store and ended up speding a small fortune. Now I get anybody and everybody I can to help me test water samples, it's gotten to be a joke that if you want to swim in my pool you have to help me test the water.. .... anyway, I found this test kit -it's digital and if it works would be a lifesaver for me! Does anyone here have any experience with this product? I would like to know before buying and then getting ripped off - again....

here's a link

LaMott

Welcome to TFP!

There are no stupid questions. Asking questions is how we learn.

The ColorQ is generally quite well thought of. The feedback from people who have one has mostly been excelent, but there have been a few negatives. The FC and TC tests only go up to 10. The CH and CYA tests are noticably less percise than the others, and several people report that the CYA test in particular can be way off. Also, if your CH levels are above 500 all of the results can be completely wrong. I suggest getting a separate CYA test if you get the ColorQ.

For comparison, the TF Test Kit only requires careful color discrimination for the PH test and the quick chlorine test. Several of the other tests require adding drops till the color changes, which others with color discrimination issues report are generally easy to see. Also, the full chlorine test works up to a FC level of 50.

Thanks! to both of you for the info, it was great and helped me make up my mind, I think I will try it and let you know how it works out. I will feel so much better knowing I can test my water and not have to wait until someone else can tell me what the results are...

This site is really going to save me alot of worry, thanks again.

As many of you know, I assemble and sell the TF test kit. The success of that kit has been remarkable and it's a demonstrated good value.

I am also considering selling the LaMott ColorQ digital tester in addition to the TF. I have not yet made up my mind.

On this and other forums, the reports of innaccuracies have been frequent enough to cause me some concern. The FC testing only to 10ppm is another drawback. Seems like the biggest issue is the CYA test which apparently is, in some machines (or strips), innaccurate enough to be barely useful.

After all the above, I am still considering selling it. The convenience factor (and the "cool" factor of a digital readout) is not to be ignored. I need a little more input (mostly from members on this forum) before I have enough confidence to place an order with LaMott.

It seems to me that some more detailed instructions explaining the limitations of the ColorQ would be helpful, but I did not get the impression from LaMott that any were immediate.

Vegas,

The accuracy of the colorQ apparently is less than what I would personally be willing to represent. For the time being, I intend not to sell them. That may change at a later date (probably next year), but I don't have quite enough confidence in them yet. I appreciate the opportunity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.