How Soon to Read FC Results?

Dec 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everybody - first post (moved from "Getting Started"), first pool.

After moving to San Antonio last month we just moved into a house with a three-year-old pool. After reading a few things online, I quickly stopped using the previous owners' OTO test kit and bought a DPD kit from Leslie's. Finding this site later, I realize I should have bought the DPD-FAS, but I'll get one soon.

Right now I have a really basic testing question, though - how quickly do I need to read/record the DPD FC results? After adding my reagents to the test vial, the immediate result indicates a "1," but that changes over the next few minutes to a "3." So, is my FC 1 or 3?

Thanks,

Jaywalker said:
Hi everybody - first post (moved from "Getting Started"), first pool.

After moving to San Antonio last month we just moved into a house with a three-year-old pool. After reading a few things online, I quickly stopped using the previous owners' OTO test kit and bought a DPD kit from Leslie's. Finding this site later, I realize I should have bought the DPD-FAS, but I'll get one soon.

Wecome to the forum, Jay :-D

You can get an 'add-on' FAS-DPD kit that will fit in with your K-2005 nicely; and you'll get a more accurate chlorine test that's easier to use...

http://www.tftestkits.net/index.php?act ... oductId=23
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... KitID=2185

Right now I have a really basic testing question, though - how quickly do I need to read/record the DPD FC results? After adding my reagents to the test vial, the immediate result indicates a "1," but that changes over the next few minutes to a "3." So, is my FC 1 or 3?

After adding R-0001 and R-0002 drops, cap, invert and measure the color against the color standard right away. Record as FC. Then add R-0003, recap and invert, measure the new result as TC (immediately.) Pay no attention to any drifting color value.

Thanks,

I believe FC test readings should be done right after the test is done. Thats the way I have always done mine. Some who knows for sure will chime in soon and agree or set us both straight !

Welcome to the forum ! :wave:

(someone beat me to it)

Thanks for the quick response. I think I'll pass on the add-on vials and get another kit - I'll need something for CYA and CH, too. I can still use this one for simple, cheaper testing. Or maybe Leslie's will take it back towards their higher line kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.