Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How Soon to Read FC Results?

1. Back To Top    #1

How Soon to Read FC Results?

Hi everybody - first post (moved from "Getting Started"), first pool.

After moving to San Antonio last month we just moved into a house with a three-year-old pool. After reading a few things online, I quickly stopped using the previous owners' OTO test kit and bought a DPD kit from Leslie's. Finding this site later, I realize I should have bought the DPD-FAS, but I'll get one soon.

Right now I have a really basic testing question, though - how quickly do I need to read/record the DPD FC results? After adding my reagents to the test vial, the immediate result indicates a "1," but that changes over the next few minutes to a "3." So, is my FC 1 or 3?

Thanks,
    Jaywalker

In-ground, 11,000 gallon, plaster, in-line trichlor pucks or BBB bottled chlorine, 1.5 HP pump @ ~100 gallons/minute, cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How Soon to Read FC Results?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker
    Hi everybody - first post (moved from "Getting Started"), first pool.

After moving to San Antonio last month we just moved into a house with a three-year-old pool. After reading a few things online, I quickly stopped using the previous owners' OTO test kit and bought a DPD kit from Leslie's. Finding this site later, I realize I should have bought the DPD-FAS, but I'll get one soon.

Wecome to the forum, Jay

You can get an 'add-on' FAS-DPD kit that will fit in with your K-2005 nicely; and you'll get a more accurate chlorine test that's easier to use...

http://www.tftestkits.net/index.php?act ... oductId=23
    http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... KitID=2185

Right now I have a really basic testing question, though - how quickly do I need to read/record the DPD FC results? After adding my reagents to the test vial, the immediate result indicates a "1," but that changes over the next few minutes to a "3." So, is my FC 1 or 3?

After adding R-0001 and R-0002 drops, cap, invert and measure the color against the color standard right away. Record as FC. Then add R-0003, recap and invert, measure the new result as TC (immediately.) Pay no attention to any drifting color value.

Thanks,
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

3. Back To Top    #3

I believe FC test readings should be done right after the test is done. Thats the way I have always done mine. Some who knows for sure will chime in soon and agree or set us both straight !

Welcome to the forum !

(someone beat me to it)
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the quick response. I think I'll pass on the add-on vials and get another kit - I'll need something for CYA and CH, too. I can still use this one for simple, cheaper testing. Or maybe Leslie's will take it back towards their higher line kit.
    Jaywalker

In-ground, 11,000 gallon, plaster, in-line trichlor pucks or BBB bottled chlorine, 1.5 HP pump @ ~100 gallons/minute, cartridge filter