sand filter not draining

Frequently, those drain caps have a second, internal cap that should not be completely unscrewed but when partially turned, will allow water to come out without losing sand. Not sure if yours has that or not.

Open your multiport. Put it either between positions or in backwash/rinse. Air will be able to easily displace the water that way. Even if it's just trickling that's fine. It will drain out in time. There's a small screen in there, not unlike the laterals inside the filter, that blocks sand from coming out with the water. That screen will get pretty gunked up over time but should still allow enough water through to slowly drain the filter.

What spishex said...it probably has a vacuum lock or similar. I have encountered that as few times over the years with mine. Mine does trickle too, but after a while, it will be completely drained. I actually just leave that cap off all winter long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.