Northern Middle Tn.
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
I did not close my pool this winter. I only blew out the deck jet lines.
Other than the freeze protector kicking my pump on low at 34 degrees, is there any reason to run my pump any other time???? Chlorine production stops at around 50 degrees I think.

Besides algae, there are other reasons to run a pump. I keep mine going for at least an hour a day (with cleaner) just to clear the dust and debris that normally fall in the water; it's a precaution, sure, but I'd rather keep up the maintenance than face a mucked-up pool in a few months. I also continue testing. Most important is pH and chlorine. Even with no SWG running & winter-time temps, the chlorine will take longer to dissipate... but it will still get used up. Test periodically and add liquid chlorine (bleach) with the pump running as needed. This is the lazy person's method of non-closing winter maintenance, but it's also safe. You're not just ignoring the pool. :cool:

Thanks polyvue. That's kinda what I've been doing. This is the first year with my pool and my first winter. A lesson in progress :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.