Is There Anything Else I Need To Do?

crokett

Jul 17, 2007
Hillsborough, NC
I'm pretty certain what I have is algae so in since Wednesday:

Chlorine has been held 30<>35 PPM for 36hrs. pH is at 7.6. Not sure on CYA now that I increased it. I need to get that retested. Pump is running 24x7.

I vacuumed (not to waste) Wed night made sure clean filter was in overnight.
Brushed Thurs AM, waited 2hrs changed out clogged filter.
Rained last night so could only brush, waited 3 hrs, changed out clogged filter.
Brushed this AM, waited 2.5 hrs changed out clogged filter

Depending on how much time I have and if weather holds I will either brush or vac this evening but make sure a clean filter is in for overnight. Will also test and shock as-needed.

Tomorrow will vac. Anything else I need to do? At this point will algaecide help? I know I can't use copper b/c of the shocking but I have a bottle of this stuff: http://www.aquachem.com/products/algaec ... de_50.html

crokett said:
I'm pretty certain what I have is algae so in since Wednesday:

Chlorine has been held 30<>35 PPM for 36hrs. pH is at 7.6. Not sure on CYA now that I increased it. I need to get that retested. Pump is running 24x7.

I vacuumed (not to waste) Wed night made sure clean filter was in overnight.
Brushed Thurs AM, waited 2hrs changed out clogged filter.
Rained last night so could only brush, waited 3 hrs, changed out clogged filter.
Brushed this AM, waited 2.5 hrs changed out clogged filter

Depending on how much time I have and if weather holds I will either brush or vac this evening but make sure a clean filter is in for overnight. Will also test and shock as-needed.

Tomorrow will vac. Anything else I need to do? At this point will algaecide help? I know I can't use copper b/c of the shocking but I have a bottle of this stuff: http://www.aquachem.com/products/algaec ... de_50.html

it could take up to a week at shocking levels (but most times sooner) to get rid of it....

I assume the pump is the problem why it's not cleaning up faster. But your doing everything you should be doing.

Usually, algaecide that is marked 50 and doesn't say anything about non-foaming is a mono-quat algaecide. They will cause foaming if added to the pool.

It sounds like you are doing everything correctly. If the FC level holds overnight and you don't have any CC you can start to let the chlorine level come down. It can take the pump/filter several days to clear the water completely from this point. You should see some impovement in the water every day.

Thanks guys. Might this protocol be a sticky? (well not this thread but something like it). I picked this up from reading lots of other threads more or less at random. It might have saved me a few days (and some dollars) wasted waiting for an algaecide to work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.