Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is There Anything Else I Need To Do?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is There Anything Else I Need To Do?

I'm pretty certain what I have is algae so in since Wednesday:

Chlorine has been held 30<>35 PPM for 36hrs. pH is at 7.6. Not sure on CYA now that I increased it. I need to get that retested. Pump is running 24x7.

I vacuumed (not to waste) Wed night made sure clean filter was in overnight.
    Brushed Thurs AM, waited 2hrs changed out clogged filter.
    Rained last night so could only brush, waited 3 hrs, changed out clogged filter.
    Brushed this AM, waited 2.5 hrs changed out clogged filter

Depending on how much time I have and if weather holds I will either brush or vac this evening but make sure a clean filter is in for overnight. Will also test and shock as-needed.

Tomorrow will vac. Anything else I need to do? At this point will algaecide help? I know I can't use copper b/c of the shocking but I have a bottle of this stuff: http://www.aquachem.com/products/algaec ... de_50.html
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is There Anything Else I Need To Do?

Quote Originally Posted by crokett
    I'm pretty certain what I have is algae so in since Wednesday:

Chlorine has been held 30<>35 PPM for 36hrs. pH is at 7.6. Not sure on CYA now that I increased it. I need to get that retested. Pump is running 24x7.

I vacuumed (not to waste) Wed night made sure clean filter was in overnight.
    Brushed Thurs AM, waited 2hrs changed out clogged filter.
    Rained last night so could only brush, waited 3 hrs, changed out clogged filter.
    Brushed this AM, waited 2.5 hrs changed out clogged filter

Depending on how much time I have and if weather holds I will either brush or vac this evening but make sure a clean filter is in for overnight. Will also test and shock as-needed.

Tomorrow will vac. Anything else I need to do? At this point will algaecide help? I know I can't use copper b/c of the shocking but I have a bottle of this stuff: http://www.aquachem.com/products/algaec ... de_50.html
    it could take up to a week at shocking levels (but most times sooner) to get rid of it....

I assume the pump is the problem why it's not cleaning up faster. But your doing everything you should be doing.
    14 x 32 x 6 (ave depth) 20K gallons - IG gunite pool. Challenger 1.5 hp pump and cartridge filter.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Usually, algaecide that is marked 50 and doesn't say anything about non-foaming is a mono-quat algaecide. They will cause foaming if added to the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4
    It sounds like you are doing everything correctly. If the FC level holds overnight and you don't have any CC you can start to let the chlorine level come down. It can take the pump/filter several days to clear the water completely from this point. You should see some impovement in the water every day.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys. Might this protocol be a sticky? (well not this thread but something like it). I picked this up from reading lots of other threads more or less at random. It might have saved me a few days (and some dollars) wasted waiting for an algaecide to work.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer