Northern Middle Tn.
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
It is supppose to get down to 13 in Nashville tomorrow night. So that means probably 10 in my neck of the woods. This is the only night it's suppose to be that cold. Not long term.
I have a non insulated 9x12 building around all my pool equipment. I've blown out my deck jet lines. My freeze protection is set to kick pump on at 34 degrees. I have the valve to my booster pump open also. This will allow water to flow through it without it actually being on. Will that be o.k. or should I put a heater in my building??? I don't have electricity in it yet, but I could run a 50' extension cord to it if necessary.
Do I need to put a jug in my skimmer?? If so, do I partially fill it with antifreeze and do I leave the top off the jug??? I've read about people doing this but wasn't really sure how to do it.
Thanks for any advice.

orthofish said:
It is supppose to get down to 13 in Nashville tomorrow night. So that means probably 10 in my neck of the woods. This is the only night it's suppose to be that cold. Not long term.
I have a non insulated 9x12 building around all my pool equipment. I've blown out my deck jet lines. My freeze protection is set to kick pump on at 34 degrees. I have the valve to my booster pump open also. This will allow water to flow through it without it actually being on. Will that be o.k. or should I put a heater in my building??? I don't have electricity in it yet, but I could run a 50' extension cord to it if necessary.
Do I need to put a jug in my skimmer?? If so, do I partially fill it with antifreeze and do I leave the top off the jug??? I've read about people doing this but wasn't really sure how to do it.
Thanks for any advice.
The enclosure should help a lot even with temp low for the next few days... I think a space heater set on LOW might be helpful but if the air temperature gauge is in the same building you'll defeat its purpose; so if that's the case, best not to heat the building. Don't know how a jug of antifreeze would work in preventing skimmer from icing over. Maybe other members can respond to this.

The jug in the skimmer doesn't prevent skimmer freeze ups. It prevents damage when ice forms and expands. It's contents remains liquid and the bottle remains compressible to provide and absorb expanding ice pressure. On running systems that are not winterized and shut down, use a single quart bottle so you don't restrict the flow and if the skimmer has one, remove the weir (flapper). They can get hung up in ice and block off the incoming water. That would cause you to lose prime at the worst possible time.

Scott
PoolGuyNJ

polyvue, I have my temp gauge on the outside, so that it gives my control box the actual temp.

Thanks PoolGutNJ. That's exactly what I needed to know. :goodjob:

Thank you both for the response. :wave:

Sanman023 said:
hello polyvue...it was pretty cold last night as well here in sacramento....i believe 24...how do you protect your equipment and do we need to in our area...
Well, at 11 O'clock I was watching an old movie, trying to hear the sound over the groaning of my 'freeze-protected' pump and got up to do what I had threatened to in an earlier post... viewtopic.php?p=147529#p147529

Now, don't know that I actually recommend this rash action; if you want to play it safe, run your main pump overnight. So far, however, I've no regrets.

signed,

:king: of lower utility bills

:lol: That's exactly what I did with mine as well! The blasted thing just kept running and running, with no chance of really freezing. But I had to shut off the breaker to my pump...couldn't figure out how to override the blasted freeze guard. :x

I can deactivate my freeze protection if I want to, but I have it set to run my pump on low, so hopefully that's not killing my electricity bill :( It's been kicking on most every night this past week. Getting pretty cold here in Tenn. when the sun goes down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.