Using Heat Lamp to Prevent Freezing Pipes & Filter

Dee

Nov 4, 2007
Chattanooga TN
My Hayward Super Pump went out yesterday and the weather forecast predicts 33 degrees tonight and 27 degrees for tomorrow night then back to 33 degrees. I got the motor taken to an electrical motor service but I have a question in case I don't get it back and installed today. If I use a 125 watt heat lamp in the pool house aimed at the pipes coming out of the ground and the filter should everything be ok? The pool house is an uninsulated wooden structure (approximately 5ft. x 8ft. x 7ft. - just big enough to stand up in and enclose the pump & filter) with an oil stain on the outside. Is there any chance it could catch fire? Thanks for any input and/or suggestions.

The pool house on it's own will retain a little heat....even uninsulated.

125 watts is probably not enough "ooomph" to do much of anything, but it will never hurt unless you are careless and catch something on fire..

IMO, those temps are not cold enough to have any affect on you system simply leaving it alone.

If you are concerned still, I would suggest simply takeing the lid off the pump strainer basket and allow the water to drain back into the pool.....problem solved.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.