Question about Pool Heaters

Anything, other than solar, that you try and heat a pool with is gonna cost you and arm and a leg. It doesn't matter if it's a heat pump (proper term), electric or gas heater it's still gonna be expensive. While a heat pump is cheaper than an electric heater it's still expensive to heat that much water.

To me the ideal situation would be to put enough solar in to heat the pool and supplement with a heat pump. That way you only have to run the heat pump on rare occasions when the solar won't quite make it.

Here is central - southern Florida, most people use heat pumps. They are essentially A/C units operating in reverse. They don't work well in cold climates like the norhtern US. They have high initial costs, are large, and will last you about as long as a typical central A/C unit 10-15 years.

Solar, if done properly (at least in this area) can work in conjunction with a solar cover. I have 50% solar panel coverage facing west and I have lots of shade, so I can't heat my entire pool during the winter. But I only wanted it for heating my hot tub, and I have electric to supplement, and I don't want to bother with a cover. A friend has 100% solar coverage on a south facing roof, a controller, solar cover, etc. He swims year round.

Great. Thanks for your comments.

After using those heat pumps mentioned in the post/link above I will share our experience regarding the power consumption and most important the COST...

Seems like having a supplement is what will work best with solar panels..

lborne said:
Here is central - southern Florida, most people use heat pumps. They are essentially A/C units operating in reverse. They don't work well in cold climates like the norhtern US. They have high initial costs, are large, and will last you about as long as a typical central A/C unit 10-15 years.

A heat pump is a good option to take the chill off the water towards the start and end of the swim season. In most regions they are not good for deep winter months (i.e. late November - early February, however this certainly varies by area).

Solar, if done properly (at least in this area) can work in conjunction with a solar cover.

A solar cover is very important to use no matter what type of heater you are using. A solar cover saves money as it stops heat loss. Without the solar cover the top of the pool simply has zero insulation. Some people don't want to mess around with a big solar cover and use a "liquid" solar blanket which is a bit less efficient but much easier and doesn't look bad on top of the pool. There is an option of adding an automatic feeder for the liquid blanket to be added to the pool.

JoshU said:
lborne said:

A heat pump is a good option to take the chill off the water towards the start and end of the swim season. In most regions they are not good for deep winter months (i.e. late November - early February, however this certainly varies by area).

Solar, if done properly (at least in this area) can work in conjunction with a solar cover.

A solar cover is very important to use no matter what type of heater you are using. A solar cover saves money as it stops heat loss. Without the solar cover the top of the pool simply has zero insulation. Some people don't want to mess around with a big solar cover and use a "liquid" solar blanket which is a bit less efficient but much easier and doesn't look bad on top of the pool. There is an option of adding an automatic feeder for the liquid blanket to be added to the pool.

Very interesting insights and explanation... thanks as always! Does SaltPool sell this covers?

JoshU,

Thanks for the additional comments on my post. You are right, a solar cover can save you tons of money. Most of the people I know who have them don't use them. I know because I've been offered lost of blankets and reels from people who want to get them out of their garage. I find some people keep their heat pump running 24/7 in the winter because they want to swim all the time and justify the cost because their central A/C is off and their electric bills are then more even every month. Other people heat just when they have friends from up north visiting.

Can you please tell us more about the liquid solar cover? Does it get trapped in the filter? Does it float to the surface? Do you have to keep the skimmer off? How long does it last, etc.

Geaux Saints

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.