intellitouch vs easytouch

Aug 17, 2009
Hey folks-

Whats the difference between the two? We have 2 pumps (1 pentair VS and 1 Whisperflo), solar, suction side cleaner, heater, malibu lights, Intelligbright lights (2 pool and spa), spa side controller and remote.

What are the pros and cons of each.

Our current contract has the intellitouch 8 with above, but the PB bought the easytouch. He has no problem giving us what we asked for (not installed yet) but says there is little difference.

Experts please.

The only difference is that the IntelliTouch can be expanded and control more things than the EasyTouch, and the EasyTouch is a whole lot cheaper! I'd stay with the IntelliTouch (if that is what you contracted for, and make sure you get the 10 function spa side controller, not the 4 function!) unless he is willing to cut you back the difference and you don't think you'll ever want to expand (like landscape lighting, music, TV or anything else you may want to program).

One last question-

There are two remotes that seem to cost the same-

One is the standard white monchromatic remote and the other is the color PDA format. Has what are the pros and cons of both and which would you get?

Thanks!

dykes26 said:
One last question-

There are two remotes that seem to cost the same-

One is the standard white monchromatic remote and the other is the color PDA format. Has what are the pros and cons of both and which would you get?

Thanks!

Are you referring to the Mobile Touch versus the Screen Logic? I don't think they are both the same price (is your builder telling you that?). If you are offered both of those for the same price, I would get the Screen Logic!

dykes26 said:
Our current contract has the intellitouch 8 with above, but the PB bought the easytouch. He has no problem giving us what we asked for (not installed yet) but says there is little difference.

Experts please.
Are you sure the contract says Intellitouch "8" , because there is no Intellitouch 8, just "Intellitouch". But there is an EasyTouch 8. Maybe there's a typo?

From reading this topic I am going to discuss this with our PB.

If your contract reads Intellitouch I'd switch to that. It does look like there is a price difference.

Our contract reads Easytouch and now I am going to ask about changing it. We are also installing landscaping, lights, speakers and I would like to have one control for all of that.

Let us know what you think of it after it is installed.

The IntellTouch is a component system, whereas the EasyTouch is a "pre-packaged" system. Think about buying a box system stereo from WalMart where you get what comes in the box (EasyTouch) versus going to a stereo shop and picking the components you want (IntellTouch) and building your own system. A lot of people are selling the EasyTouch now (it is a good system) because it is easier to price (they do not have to add up the components) and it is a cheaper system, which makes them more "competitive" on their bids. There is even an EasyTouch system that "throws in" the SWCG, so a lot of folks use that as a selling point ("if you buy this unit they will throw in the IntelliChlor for free!").

To really get educated on both systems, go here: www.pentairpool.com. Read up on both systems and then you can see which one suits you best. You really will not go wrong with either one, but the options are definitely greater on the IntelliTouch, if you think you may need them in the future.

The intelitouch 8 to us is the nine or 8 + 1. Our contract is vague but reading intelitouch with remote and spa side control.

I know we are slated for the 4 function spa side remote.

What is the difference in the price between the PDA and the monocromatic for a PB- I know trade secret but hopefully you can give me an idea.

I was researching it since we were not given a specific and the site I looked at were within $50, but I am aware that your prices are different.

Here is what it really should say if you have the IntelliTouch (unless you have the i7+3-stolen from Pentair's page!):

i9+3 Shared Equipment: Pool and spa combinations with shared filtration system – Pool owners can enjoy the convenience of motorized valves for water flow separation between pool and spa. Filter + 8 Aux

I would expect to have to pay an additional couple of hundred dollars to get the 10 function remote over the 4 function one. Do not allow them to put either switch in the waterline! It will fail and it will not be warrantied! The problem with getting the 4 function is that you will only be able to control 4 functions (let's say circ pump, jet pump, pool light and spa light;you're done!), and you have the capability to control much more with the larger system (heater, landscape lighting, music, TV, etc.). If you have no use for additional functions now or in the future (one more aside-if you have a pool and spa light I would not have them "looped" on the same relay. It is nice to be able to control them independently as you may want only one on at a time in some situations.), then this may not be an issue (but I don't know why you would get such a large system if you had no intent on using or expanding the larger unit!).

It really comes down to getting what you want (and paid for!), and what you anticipate doing with the system. The IntelliTouch is a great unit, and allows for expansion, if you choose. The EasyTouch is a great system as well, but not expandable. I have more relays on my system than I am currently using, but I love the fact that I have room to grow (I have a 2 pump system, solar, 2 pool lights, 1 spa light, fiber optic lighting, water feature and a heater on my system, and the back yard isn't done yet! Nice to know there is room in my panel to add the other items I have planned!).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
simicrintz said:
Here is what it really should say if you have the IntelliTouch (unless you have the i7+3-stolen from Pentair's page!):

i9+3 Shared Equipment: Pool and spa combinations with shared filtration system – Pool owners can enjoy the convenience of motorized valves for water flow separation between pool and spa. Filter + 8 Aux

I would expect to have to pay an additional couple of hundred dollars to get the 10 function remote over the 4 function one. Do not allow them to put either switch in the waterline! It will fail and it will not be warrantied! The problem with getting the 4 function is that you will only be able to control 4 functions (let's say circ pump, jet pump, pool light and spa light;you're done!), and you have the capability to control much more with the larger system (heater, landscape lighting, music, TV, etc.). If you have no use for additional functions now or in the future (one more aside-if you have a pool and spa light I would not have them "looped" on the same relay. It is nice to be able to control them independently as you may want only one on at a time in some situations.), then this may not be an issue (but I don't know why you would get such a large system if you had no intent on using or expanding the larger unit!).

It really comes down to getting what you want (and paid for!), and what you anticipate doing with the system. The IntelliTouch is a great unit, and allows for expansion, if you choose. The EasyTouch is a great system as well, but not expandable. I have more relays on my system than I am currently using, but I love the fact that I have room to grow (I have a 2 pump system, solar, 2 pool lights, 1 spa light, fiber optic lighting, water feature and a heater on my system, and the back yard isn't done yet! Nice to know there is room in my panel to add the other items I have planned!).

Always better to leave room for expansion! I had an 4 button spa switch from Jandy that my PB installed. I couldn't wait for it to fail so I could get the 8 button spa link, Now I can change the temp in the spa and not have to get out and turn on backyard low voltage lighting!

Just my two cents!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.