Easy Set Pool question

skydiva44

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2009
Houston, Texas
I didn't close down my pool, just covered it. Houston is predicted to get SNOW on Friday, Crazy I know, but all I plan on doing is to keep my pump running to keep it from freezing up...will that be enough.....any other suggestions?

How much snow are they predicting? If it's just a dusting, I'd think you'd be OK. Anything more than a dusting and I'd start to worry about snow accumulating on the cover, if the cover doesn't lay on the water.

I'm sure it will just be a dusting, they really haven't said...I can take the cover off if you think that would be a problem, I'm more concerned about the pump, I think I read somewhere on here it was best to leave the pump running when you get into freezing weather...

skydiva44 said:
I didn't close down my pool, just covered it. Houston is predicted to get SNOW on Friday, Crazy I know, but all I plan on doing is to keep my pump running to keep it from freezing up...will that be enough.....any other suggestions?

Scary, isn't it. I'm just south of Dallas. This isn't going to be a really long freeze, if predictions are correct, so I'm only going to run the main pump while it is below 35. Make sure water goes through the booster pump, if you have one, but you shouldn't have to turn it on. Main thing is to have water flowing through all equipment and pipes.

When it goes into the mid to low 20s (or teens), for very short periods, I do put heat tape on the pipes and valves and then insulate including the pump pot and valves, making insulation removable from valves so I can operate them. If it's going to be 20's and below for days I drain everything at pump station and add additional insulation. My pump station is below grade so draining is fast and easy to do.

Up here we have had a few extended days, some winters, where temps didn't leave single digits. On a couple of occasions, in past 23 years, we've even had ice form on the pool. That is extremely rare. I didn't lower the pool water but did put some slightly water filled plastic bottles in the pool and one in skimmer to avoid freeze expansion damage. I don't think lower Texas will be experiencing those conditions any time soon. At least I hope not.

gg=alice

skydiva44 said:
GG...thank you, I hope you are right! lol Mine is an above ground glorified blow up pool, so I don't have alot invested in it like you do with an in-ground, but I sure don't want it to burst and flood my home... :shock:
No, indeed. 5000 gallons of water in the living room takes forever to get up with a shop vac. :wink:

skydiva44 said:

Is this the inflatable ring intex or is it the metal pole supports type pool. If it is the inflatable ring pool, I would 1 make sure that the ring stays inflated when the temperature drops, and two if you get too much snow on the cover get it off because the cover generally goes over the ring and suspends above the water. If this happens the ring could collaps inward and allow water out, or even cause it to collapse alltogether.

It is the ring top type. I have taken the cover off, turned the pump on and insulated the pump and SWG, at this point that's all I can do and pray for the best...we are supposed to have 4 days of freezing temps....of course Mother Nature decides to do this the year I get the pool, it's been 20 years since the weather was like this! :x

skydiva44 said:
It is the ring top type. I have taken the cover off, turned the pump on and insulated the pump and SWG, at this point that's all I can do and pray for the best...we are supposed to have 4 days of freezing temps....of course Mother Nature decides to do this the year I get the pool, it's been 20 years since the weather was like this! :x

that is the way it works...Let me know how it goes...keep an eye on that ring!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
polyvue said:
skydiva44 said:
GG...thank you, I hope you are right! lol Mine is an above ground glorified blow up pool, so I don't have a lot invested in it like you do with an in-ground, but I sure don't want it to burst and flood my home... :shock:
No, indeed. 5000 gallons of water in the living room takes forever to get up with a shop vac. :wink:

Lucky us. Our house slants down all the way from one end to the other in open living area (lower at the hill drop-off side.) All we have to do is open the back door. :mrgreen:

skydiva, Glad your pool made it. I drained all my equipment, heat tape, and insulation. It was nice not to have to do anything to the pool for a few days. :party: Our ice was at least an inch thick on pool.

gg=alice

Northerner here, former EasySet ringtop owner. I can't imagine any problem that icing up would cause to one of those things (talking about just the pool itself), even if it froze solid to the bottom. I just don't think it would expand enough to hurt anything--that vinyl has enough give. Pulling the cover is wise--although snow is no worse than good old rain. It's just harder to siphon.

The pump is a different story. You can run it 24/7 or just shut it down. Just shut those plunger valves on the pool wall and dump the water out of the little pump. Unscrew the clamps and pull the flex lines that connect to the unit. If you've added a real filter, then pop the plugs and let it drain out. 40°F water can live without a filter for a few weeks--mine sits for 5 months.

The people that need to worry are those with underground lines and in-ground skimmers that are tough to drain. Whole different kettle of fish.

Durk said:
Northerner here, former EasySet ringtop owner. I can't imagine any problem that icing up would cause to one of those things (talking about just the pool itself), even if it froze solid to the bottom. I just don't think it would expand enough to hurt anything--that vinyl has enough give. Pulling the cover is wise--although snow is no worse than good old rain. It's just harder to siphon.

The pump is a different story. You can run it 24/7 or just shut it down. Just shut those plunger valves on the pool wall and dump the water out of the little pump. Unscrew the clamps and pull the flex lines that connect to the unit. If you've added a real filter, then pop the plugs and let it drain out. 40°F water can live without a filter for a few weeks--mine sits for 5 months.

The people that need to worry are those with underground lines and in-ground skimmers that are tough to drain. Whole different kettle of fish.

I would think that because Ice expands upward, that if you didn't drain down the pool a few inches you could do some damage to the top ring if there was too much expansion upward. just my thoughts on the matter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.