Leak at Connection

eric99gt

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
Houston, TX
I'm having a hard time with a small leak. It's occuring at the connection point for my booster pump. My pool guy (yes I have one) tried to correct the issue using some sort of pipe dope but it doesn't seem to be working. Said the leak was fine and not something to worry about but me being the perfectionist want it fixed. Any thoughts on what may seal this better? Picture for reference

PA110044-1.jpg

That hose being kinked may be causing the pump to put more pressure on the fitting than normal. (I haven't liked that kink since you first posted that pic) Still, it shouldn't leak.

If it's leaking at the threads, remove the fitting and take a small wire brush and clean the internal and external threads real well then apply several layers of teflon tape and reinstall it. Be sure to inspect the pipe fitting and the pump discharge fitting closely for cracks while you have it apart.

If it's the joint where the pipe slips onto the fitting then remove the nut and the pipe. Trim an inch or two off the pipe and reinstall it onto the barb then reinstall the retaining nut. Don't overtighten the retaining nut.

P.S. If you were as much a perfectionist as I, that tubing being kinked would bother you way more than a lil ole water leak. :wink:

That plumbing job is hilarious. I like that someone installed a 45 on the line so it would connect up with that big floppy piece of flex at just the right angle. :wink:

The reason that kink is there is because of the full-weight and height of the 3/4" line. There's too much torque on the plumbing. I'd trim more like a foot or two off so that the line is pretty much a direct shot. Some slack is good but it looks like you've got about twice as much as you need there.

That hose, also, looks to be a more flexible hose than I've had on my booster pump and those I've seen of friends. The ones I see are a semi clear reinforced hoses that are really stiff. I was going to recommend putting support cuffs on each end of the hose, for some support, similar to the ones you see on garden hoses. But if the hose was more like the ones I usually see that wouldn't be necessary.

I use small submersible pumps (one died so getting another) for pool and spa and other uses. I keep the hoses attached to them for quick use in emergencies. Just about any garden hose I have ever used with them kinks like that near the connection point, during storage, (even using the collars - they just kink above the collar), especially if I set the pump upright, rather than on its side. If the sun heats them up, over a short period of time, the hoses will form a permanent kink.

gg=alice

geekgranny said:
That hose, also, looks to be a more flexible hose than I've had on my booster pump and those I've seen of friends.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I recently replaced one of those hoses on my booster pump, and the replacement was the same type as the original: A very stiff black reinforced hose that I don't think is even capable of kinking. Bought it at Leslie's. Also, as mentioned above, the hose in the pic is honking long! I don't see why it should be more than 1-1.5' long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.