Help needed with intex swg 8231

aussie

Dec 2, 2009
hi i have an intex krystal clear deluxe saltwater system 8231 , bought it new last August has been working great the other day I went to switch it on and found there is no power to the pump,it's dead no led display no nothing,it's out of warranty as it only had 1yr but has only been used for about 8mths as pool is packed away for winter.
Intex service here in Australia no help,Intex head Office Hong Kong just directed me back to Aussie service centre.
I'm searching for someone that has had this happen and may be able to shed some light on fixing the unit as replacement costs here is around $600.
Electrician friend had a quick look at it and fuses,cord & switch connections are fine he can see no obvious electrical fault.
Any Idea's anyone????
Thanks Linda

Hi Linda,
Welcome to TFP. I don't have much info on your pump/SWCG combo, but I do use the stand-alone SWCG, and have had them apart to work on. I think that most of the Intex stand-alone pumps use a "brick" transformer in the power cord, the SWCG that I have has the transformer mounted on the base, and I think that is what you have also. Power comes to the transformer directly from the cord plugged into an outlet. The transformer converts the single a/c line voltage down to two lower a/c voltages (16.8Vac and 9.4Vac for mine.) One of these lower voltages is converted to DC (rectified to ~23Vdc) and used to power the SWCG via relays that are controlled by the electronic circuits that are fed by the other low A/C from the x-former(the board receives ac and converts it to 12 and 5 Vdc for the relays and timers and mcu.) I do not know if the pump is A/C or D/C, but I suspect that it is A/C, and has a switch that is fed directly from the transformer. If the motor won't run I would suspect the x-former is bad (or one of it's connections.)
The fuses on the circuit board are for currents flowing from the transformer, so if they are not blown, then I would again say that the x-former is bad. If your electrician friend is willing to poke around inside he can check if the transformer is bad (open, not allowing power flow.) If the x-former is not bad, then the pump/circuit board is bad. If the pump motor is controlled by a switched transformer output it should work if the transformer is good, so that is again why I suspect your transformer has opened up.
Best Wishes, and Good Luck!!!

Hi thanks :-D for the info I will print that out and give it to the electrician,and if I set the timer and do not uplug from the mains both pump and swg come on for the set time every day,hassle free thats why I love it so much.Our summers are so hot here that no matter what other things you add to your pool water the chlorine burns up pretty quickly.
Will let you know how I get on as when I googled this problem I found a couple of people this had happened to posted elsewhere and they recieved no answers to the problem.
cheers linda

aussie said:
Our summers are so hot here that no matter what other things you add to your pool water the chlorine burns up pretty quickly.

Will let you know how I get on as when I googled this problem I found a couple of people this had happened to posted elsewhere and they recieved no answers to the problem.
cheers linda
Welcome to TFP, Ms. Aussie! :-D

I think you'll find, as I have, that in this forum (where there seem to be almost as many Australians as there are Texans, by the way!) that few questions go unanswered. There are lots of committed pool owners here with every kind of equipment setup. So, hope to see you back...

In the US southwest and California we have hot summers and low humidity, so the sun burns up both the chlorine and the water! You may find that by keeping your pool's CYanuric Acid (CYA) level fairly high (at 50-80 ppm) the chlorine will stay around a lot longer. The answer to excess evaporation is use of a solar cover and... and water added at regular intervals.

Hi everyone, new to this site so just going through things.
I'm very interested Linda to know if your transformer got replaced. I have an 8221 SWG and it has failed, same thing just one day no power.
I'm not too bad when it comes to electrics, so I stripped it and found the transformer had gone down (open circuit on primary winding).
I am very interested to know where you got a replacement from, as I'm in the Middle East at the moment and would like to get my SWG back up and running.
Did you go through Intex or is there an alternative?
Cheers
Simon

hi simon,
no still sitting in the shed as I contacted Hong Kong head Office again with a very terse email and they directed the Australian supplier to do what they could to help me out and I was sent a system free of charge that had been returned to them under warranty to use for parts.
It's only fault was it only ran the salt timer for about an hour and then the whole system would turn off so I just used it as a filter only and went back to using chlorine,bit of a pain but it got me through the summer.
Sorry I could'nt be more help,personally I would never buy another one as here in Australia they cost $600 and for that money I can buy a good quality fitted pool cleaning system.
Cheers Linda

Hi Linda,
Thanks for replying so quick. Yeah I contacted Hong Kong as well and they've directed me to Dubai... no response so far. I'm also struggling to find chlorine here in this ...hole, so the pool is now green and out of bounds to the kids :-(.
Maybe I should try the terse email approach and see if I can get a new system too?
But I agree, I will never buy an intex SWG again, from reading this forum there seems to be other better solutions.
Cheers again Linda.
Simon

Hi Everyone;
The Model 8221 Chlorine generators has three comparators on the circuit board. These are used to measure the electrical current drawn by the chlorine generation cell. One is used to give the salt to high level, one is for the salt to low level and the other I'm not completly sure what it is for. There are three adjustable pots on the circuit board that are used to set the reference voltages for the three comparators. These are factory set. The comparators send a signals to the microprocessor. I'm thinking that the third comparator is the no salt checker that shuts down the display with no alarm code. My chlorine generator stopped working. It would sometimes run the pump for a short time and then shutdown with no alarm code and with a blank display. The circuit board has test pins. When I short the test pins and power up unit, 70 is displayed momentarily before shuting down. At present I have removed the circuit board and have wired the chlorine cell to operate when the flow switch is made. I turn the unit on now for two hours a day and do regular checks of chlorine and salt levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.