Booster Pump

Sep 24, 2009
Spring, TX
When I leave on my vacation, I was thinking of chaning my pool cleaner opening to a pool return and turn on the booster pump. This will help circulate the water more. Is it a bad idea to do this or even run a booster pump 24X7 for about 2 weeks?

Thanks.

Someone for sure who really knows will be along to answer but I just was looking at my booster pump and it does say continuous rated. You might want to look at the label on the pump and post that and the make.

On the other hand, the booster pump needs a good amount of flow coming to it. That is why you have to have the main pump running when you run the booster pump. You might have to do a little more temporary re plumbing to get more water to it than what would come as it is normal hooked up.

gg=alice

You can run the booster pump 24 hours if you like, but it's made to generate high pressure, not high water flow. In order to keep it quiet hydraulically you'll probably need to put a very small eyeball on that return (1/2"). I don't know that you'll see any reward from this that would outweigh the electrical cost of running the second pump unless you've got a dead spot in the pool that the other returns just can't disturb. If you have a timer on it I could see running it an hour or two a day to help stir things up but beyond that I don't see any benefit. Is there a particular problem you were trying to solve here or are you just looking for the most circulation possible?

spishex said:
You can run the booster pump 24 hours if you like, but it's made to generate high pressure, not high water flow. In order to keep it quiet hydraulically you'll probably need to put a very small eyeball on that return (1/2"). I don't know that you'll see any reward from this that would outweigh the electrical cost of running the second pump unless you've got a dead spot in the pool that the other returns just can't disturb. If you have a timer on it I could see running it an hour or two a day to help stir things up but beyond that I don't see any benefit. Is there a particular problem you were trying to solve here or are you just looking for the most circulation possible?

No problems, I guess just the most circulation while I am gone for two weeks. Hopefully I can have someone come over every 5-7 days or so to check the baskets. I do not seem to get a lot of debris in the pool based off what is happening now. Also with cold weather coming, is there any prep work I need to do to my piping? Should I cover the pips as you do with house plumbing?

Thanks.

laurandavid09 said:
No problems, I guess just the most circulation while I am gone for two weeks. Hopefully I can have someone come over every 5-7 days or so to check the baskets. I do not seem to get a lot of debris in the pool based off what is happening now. Also with cold weather coming, is there any prep work I need to do to my piping? Should I cover the pips as you do with house plumbing?
What is your water temp like? My water temp is cool enough that I would have no problem leaving everything off for a two week vacation. I would raise the FC to a reasonably high level then turn the pumps off.

laurandavid09 said:
spishex said:
In agreement with the thoughts already expressed by Spishex et al. David, you certainly could tape and/or insulate pool pipes as you would other exposed house plumbing if you're worried about consistent very low air temperatures while you are away. Excepting any arctic storms it sounds like you're taking the right precautions for a 2 week trip even if you don't choose to insulate the pipes. You could read this fabulously astute analysis for some assurance. :lol:

• Appropos to your concern... I haven't tried Beez' E-Z vacation solution (yet) but am very tempted to do so at the end of this month. I returned the other night from a mini-vacation to find a seriously debris-laden pool, the main drains occluded by a thick layer of leaves; the skimmer basket filled and up-ended and what appeared to be a wad of chewed tobacco plugging the suction port. You know where this is going. Ipso facto, a main pump that can't fully prime, transient cavitation and no pressure to speak of. All this due to a little wind storm that blew in and out a day after my departure. So, what's worse? A dry pump running its bearings and impeller into oblivion or replacing a leaky booster pump flex hose that couldn't shoulder a 25 degree chill? At this point I'm uncommitted.

Beez said:
laurandavid09 said:
What is your water temp like? My water temp is cool enough that I would have no problem leaving everything off for a two week vacation. I would raise the FC to a reasonably high level then turn the pumps off.

Lately since it is getting colder between 50-60 degrees.

laurandavid09 said:
At those temps your pool will not turn into a swamp in two weeks even without circulation. If I were in your shoes I would make sure everything is in good shape before you leave, then turn everything off and go enjoy your vacation. Even if you came back to a slightly green/cloudy pool that's easy to take care of with not much expense. Much less than if you came back to a dead pump.

Beez said:
laurandavid09 said:
At those temps your pool will not turn into a swamp in two weeks even without circulation. If I were in your shoes I would make sure everything is in good shape before you leave, then turn everything off and go enjoy your vacation. Even if you came back to a slightly green/cloudy pool that's easy to take care of with not much expense. Much less than if you came back to a dead pump.

Defintely under 70 for sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.