Is my pool store playing me like a piano?

serge

Nov 2, 2009
Katy, TX
I've been going to this particular PS for the past 3 months or so. I have bought my share of overpriced salt, MA, and the such knowing that they need to sell stuff in order to stay in business. During my last visit, store owner tested my water and, oh surprise..., my TA was low (even though the week before I had tested at 80, in one week it came down to 45...strange)...expecting the usual 8 lb pack of balance 100, owner gets me with 2 x 9 lbs of endure (borax)@ 15 dollars a pop....What does this have to do with TA?...I played along not make a scene, but I am thinking such aggressive sales are against a good store/client relationship...

comments anyone?

serge said:
I've been going to this particular PS for the past 3 months or so. I have bought my share of overpriced salt, MA, and the such knowing that they need to sell stuff in order to stay in business. During my last visit, store owner tested my water and, oh surprise..., my TA was low (even though the week before I had tested at 80, in one week it came down to 45...strange)...expecting the usual 8 lb pack of balance 100, owner gets me with 2 x 9 lbs of endure (borax)@ 15 dollars a pop....What does this have to do with TA?...I played along not make a scene, but I am thinking such aggressive sales are against a good store/client relationship...
Did they suggest adding the entire 18 lbs of borax in order to fix the Total Alkalinity? It's main effect will be to send your pH through the roof. The affect on TA is incidental. Use Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda) to raise the TA -- not borax. Either the pool store misdiagnosed the problem, were ignorant as to the solution or something less noble. I'd recommend returning the borax unless you have identified a need to increase pH dramatically. Surely they meant to sell you Alkalinity Up (baking soda) but got their wires crossed. If you determine this was no mistake, find another store.

Thanks...obviously they just needed to sell something to me, and the "Endure" product seemed the obvious pick..I keep my PH in line with MA (3 pints x week)... with a SWCG, PH is always going up....When TA is under 60, 1 pack of balance Pak 100 (@ 7.00 $) does the trick...I am keeping the endure (will add in two parts, to keep PH in balance). Reading some posts here, a little bit of Borates seem to be a good thing in the long run.
I am not buying from the store unless I determine I really need the chemical...Thanks to this website, I think I can argue my way out of unnecessary stuff....

Serge,

I am firmly convinced that most pool store employees sell you products out of ignorance rather than greed. I also believe that their testing methods are the source of much of their ignorance....or perhaps they are simply a little lazy. This forum is loaded up with innaccurate testing from pool stores.

The only true solution is doing your own testing. Your results will be precise (because you care) and your pool will likely use far less chemicals because you understand the results of your testing.

Hi serge,

The best thing we did for our pool (and our wallet) was order our own test kit.

I suggest you go to Pool School and read about Test Kits Compared and order one! Don't forget the salt strips!

Having your own test kit will put YOU in control of your pool and you may not believe just how easy it can be. :-D

Many of us, including myself, use the TF100 from TFTESTKITS.net sold by duraleigh.
He has excellent service and is always around to help answer questions.

This will put an end to wondering if you are being "played like a piano"......

Instead of buying the from the PS, I have switched to Arm & Hammer baking soda from Sam's Club for increasing TA. 13 lbs for about $6. About 5 lbs weekly. Still buying MA from PS since I can't find it any cheaper elsewhere.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.