Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is my pool store playing me like a piano?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is my pool store playing me like a piano?

I've been going to this particular PS for the past 3 months or so. I have bought my share of overpriced salt, MA, and the such knowing that they need to sell stuff in order to stay in business. During my last visit, store owner tested my water and, oh surprise..., my TA was low (even though the week before I had tested at 80, in one week it came down to 45...strange)...expecting the usual 8 lb pack of balance 100, owner gets me with 2 x 9 lbs of endure (borax)@ 15 dollars a pop....What does this have to do with TA?...I played along not make a scene, but I am thinking such aggressive sales are against a good store/client relationship...

comments anyone?
    Inground with 7x7 spa (spillover)
    20k gal plaster (sunstone)
    pentair 3/4 hp (filter), 1 hp (spa), 1/2 hp (features)
    cartridge filter
    SWCG IC-40
    Polaris Platinum (with booster)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is my pool store playing me like a piano?

Quote Originally Posted by serge
    I've been going to this particular PS for the past 3 months or so. I have bought my share of overpriced salt, MA, and the such knowing that they need to sell stuff in order to stay in business. During my last visit, store owner tested my water and, oh surprise..., my TA was low (even though the week before I had tested at 80, in one week it came down to 45...strange)...expecting the usual 8 lb pack of balance 100, owner gets me with 2 x 9 lbs of endure (borax)@ 15 dollars a pop....What does this have to do with TA?...I played along not make a scene, but I am thinking such aggressive sales are against a good store/client relationship...
    Did they suggest adding the entire 18 lbs of borax in order to fix the Total Alkalinity? It's main effect will be to send your pH through the roof. The affect on TA is incidental. Use Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda) to raise the TA -- not borax. Either the pool store misdiagnosed the problem, were ignorant as to the solution or something less noble. I'd recommend returning the borax unless you have identified a need to increase pH dramatically. Surely they meant to sell you Alkalinity Up (baking soda) but got their wires crossed. If you determine this was no mistake, find another store.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks...obviously they just needed to sell something to me, and the "Endure" product seemed the obvious pick..I keep my PH in line with MA (3 pints x week)... with a SWCG, PH is always going up....When TA is under 60, 1 pack of balance Pak 100 (@ 7.00 $) does the trick...I am keeping the endure (will add in two parts, to keep PH in balance). Reading some posts here, a little bit of Borates seem to be a good thing in the long run.
    I am not buying from the store unless I determine I really need the chemical...Thanks to this website, I think I can argue my way out of unnecessary stuff....
    cartridge filter
    SWCG IC-40

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Serge,

I am firmly convinced that most pool store employees sell you products out of ignorance rather than greed. I also believe that their testing methods are the source of much of their ignorance....or perhaps they are simply a little lazy. This forum is loaded up with innaccurate testing from pool stores.

The only true solution is doing your own testing. Your results will be precise (because you care) and your pool will likely use far less chemicals because you understand the results of your testing.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi serge,

The best thing we did for our pool (and our wallet) was order our own test kit.

I suggest you go to Pool School and read about Test Kits Compared and order one! Don't forget the salt strips!

Having your own test kit will put YOU in control of your pool and you may not believe just how easy it can be.

Many of us, including myself, use the TF100 from TFTESTKITS.net sold by duraleigh.
    He has excellent service and is always around to help answer questions.

This will put an end to wondering if you are being "played like a piano"......
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

yeap...thank you all for your comments...I am getting me a good test kit and take control once and for all...
    cartridge filter
    SWCG IC-40

7. Back To Top    #7

Instead of buying the from the PS, I have switched to Arm & Hammer baking soda from Sam's Club for increasing TA. 13 lbs for about $6. About 5 lbs weekly. Still buying MA from PS since I can't find it any cheaper elsewhere.
    17,500 Gallon, SWG 33' x 21' freeform w/ Sunstone Cobalt Plaster. Attached 6 X 6 Spa raised 12" w/ 6 Jets with Moss Rock Spillover. 25' Moss Rock Waterfall. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 for Pool, 2 HP Whisperflo for Waterfall, Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge 320, Pentair 400K BTU Max-E-Therm heater, Pentair Intellichor, Pentair EasyTouch 4P, Pentair Legend Platinum Cleaner w/ 3/4 hp pump, autofill system, nat gas fire pit. BBB convert

http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-tx-pool-t17907.html

8. Back To Top    #8

coog, have you tried the big box hardware stores for MA? Many times found in the paint aisle...
    Also, Baking Soda raises TA

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

9. Back To Top    #9

TMQ - my bad on the TA. The price for MA at the Big Box is the same price as the PS. I still like to drop into the PS for regular testing in order to compare with my results.
    17,500 Gallon, SWG 33' x 21' freeform w/ Sunstone Cobalt Plaster. Attached 6 X 6 Spa raised 12" w/ 6 Jets with Moss Rock Spillover. 25' Moss Rock Waterfall. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 for Pool, 2 HP Whisperflo for Waterfall, Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge 320, Pentair 400K BTU Max-E-Therm heater, Pentair Intellichor, Pentair EasyTouch 4P, Pentair Legend Platinum Cleaner w/ 3/4 hp pump, autofill system, nat gas fire pit. BBB convert

http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-tx-pool-t17907.html