Problem with Intelli

Jul 14, 2009
Seems like the red low salt right wants to stay on.. [IC40]
Saturday: Tried a 40lb. bag when salt was 3100 ..light still on!
Could be, rain last week filled pool to the top? Back washed yesterday.
Pool temp about 70.

Leyland said:
Seems like the red low salt right wants to stay on.. [IC40]
Saturday: Tried a 40lb. bag when salt was 3100 ..light still on!
Could be, rain last week filled pool to the top? Back washed yesterday.
Pool temp about 70.
You may want to verify that salt reading with Salt Test strips or a sodium chloride test (Taylor K-1766). Also, check out these two recent threads... they may contain an answer that will fit your situation.

Finally, here's one that discusses the potential impact of water chemistry on your SWG.

POLYVUE, thanks for links

SIMICRINTZ, blades where clean month ago ..testing is down local hardware/pool store... Trust readings there cause the guy worked for Jack's Magic for long time!

Update....The guy from the warranty co. came out check the cell, saw the red salt light was still on, ask me what was salt reading 3100 Sat. plus added 40 lb.
He sticks his Gizmo into the pool and says my salt is 2100 and I need to add more salt...Under his arm is a new Intelli..But me not thinking because the phone is ringing...Should have said put the new one in. but no I didn't.
Then I head out to 2 different pool places to check salt 1st. place says 3300 2nd. place says 3400
Call Pool Co.which sold me this..and he checks it 3200.....He has a call in to the rep for Pentair..
That's where I stand ...........

Update... 2nd. guy from the warranty Co. comes out and says I have to get the salt up to 4000...yeah right....Call Pentair...Faxed over pool results.. Lady on the other end says my reading of 200 for my Phosphates is to get down to 0 ..She says that could be why salt red light is still on... Added Jack's Magic Magenta Stuff...take water to get tested a.m.

Leyland said:
Lady on the other end says my reading of 200 for my Phosphates is to get down to 0
Oh, boy. Sounds like you're really getting the run-around. It never ceases to surprise me how much time and trouble some companies will undertake when there's a very simple solution that requires from them only a one-time modest investment. Save a dollar, lose $500 (and the customer, to boot.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My second IC40 started reading bogus salt values. Called PB out. He replaced it on the spot after verifying the pool did indeed have over 3000ppm. Not impressed with IC40's. This is the 3rd unit in less than 3 yrs. The upside is that I will probably never need to buy a swg. Mine continue to fail under warranty. I guess once you're out of warranty you're out of luck. My PB tech mentioned that they don't even bother troubleshooting. If the unit isn't working properly and the salt is good then they just replace the unit, and give it back to Pentair. Leads me to believe these units are cheap to make compared to tech hourly rates. Pentair would rather replace the unit than pay a tech to troubleshoot. I'm fine with that. Customer always gets the latest updated product.

I have had this same problem on several intellichlor systems we have installed. Is it still generating chlorine even if the red light is on? Seems to be a glitch in some cells about this. The red light stays on however the generator still produces properly. I have always had good luck with Pentair's warranty service.

I believe that Pentair had a problem with the 1.9 ver.(reports salt low). The 2.0's are lasting longer (no fails yet for me). When they replace the unit under warranty, make sure it's the new 2.0 ver. (face plate is different), and you shouldn't have problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.