Jonesville, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I'm been lurking for a few days now, trying to soak up as much info as possible. Why? Because we are in the process of obtaining estimates for a pool, and I'm having the dickens trying to figure out what options to add in the package given there's a limited budget.

Like I said, I have read a lot of threads, but still if anyone wanted to give some feedback, the info below reflects our current thinking (and if I had to give something significant up, as in a couple thou, what would you suggest?).

16X36 shotcrete - 3.5' to 6' depth - somewhat of a modified "L" shape, no spa or water features, estimated at 16k gallons

Options currently hoping to include:
Min 2" plumbing throughout
Lower end control/automation (EasyTouch or similar)
SWG (Intellichlor IC20 or similar)
Cartridge filter (Clean & Clear 200 - large enough?)
Variable speed pump (probably VS-3050)
Solar panels (Fafco or Heliocol)
Aggregate interior
Acrylic coated concrete deck
In-floor cleaning (paramount or A&A)
Baby fence (Not really an option - Florida code - that or alarms, & wife doesn't trust alarms)

And of course if I should have posted this info/questions somewhere else, please excuse the noob.

Re: Hello from lee32903

lee32903 said:
I'm been lurking for a few days now, trying to soak up as much info as possible. Why? Because we are in the process of obtaining estimates for a pool, and I'm having the dickens trying to figure out what options to add in the package given there's a limited budget.

Like I said, I have read a lot of threads, but still if anyone wanted to give some feedback, the info below reflects our current thinking (and if I had to give something significant up, as in a couple thou, what would you suggest?).

16X36 shotcrete - 3.5' to 6' depth - somewhat of a modified "L" shape, no spa or water features, estimated at 16k gallons

Options currently hoping to include:
Min 2" plumbing throughout
Lower end control/automation (EasyTouch or similar)
SWG (Intellichlor IC20 or similar)
Cartridge filter (Clean & Clear 200 - large enough?)
Variable speed pump (probably VS-3050)
Solar panels (Fafco or Heliocol)
Aggregate interior
Acrylic coated concrete deck
In-floor cleaning (paramount or A&A)
Baby fence (Not really an option - Florida code - that or alarms, & wife doesn't trust alarms)

And of course if I should have posted this info/questions somewhere else, please excuse the noob.

I'll give you my .02 :lol: Here goes:

2" minimum plumbing sounds good, although 2 1/2" would be better! I'd have them loop the system as well for even flow. Water flows better through larger pipes and all the returns will work better if they have equal pressure.

Don't know why you would spend the money for automation on a pool like this. A time clock should work just fine, and you can have the switch for the lights conveniently placed for when you want them on/off. I love the convenience of automation, but don't really see the use on a pool only.

Get the IC40 (if you settle on the Pentair). Bigger is better, and you can run it on a lower percentage if you want.

I'd go with the Clean and Clear Plus 420 SF filter. Same philosophy applies as the salt chlorinator here!

Variable speed pump is great, and any one should work great with a pool only. Pentair is a great choice (they will extend your warranty to three years from one year if you buy three or more pieces of their equipment also!).

The Fafco panel returns more heat than the Helicoil. If the pricing is the same (or close) go with the Fafco. If the price is way off from one or the other, ask why. Maybe you can negotiate the Fafco panels for the Helicoil price if the difference is substantial and the guy is "hungry"!

Get the best aggregate finish you can afford (I am a fan of PebbleTec, for a couple of reasons :cool: !). They are not all the same!!!

A&A has been around for a long time and have the in-floor systems down. Do not expect them to keep the pool 100% clean though! The floor systems get the dirt up in suspension well, and they return solar heated water great, but they cannot get everything up and into the skimmer. If you are reasonable in your expectations of the system you should be happy.

I purposely left out the deck and Baby fence, as those are more personal choices than quality of build issues (to me anyway!). I think those choices will need to be made between the wife and you!

That's my .02!! Good luck!

Bruce

Re: Hello from lee32903

Don't forget to add LED lighting in your pool. We just upgraded to an Intellibrite LED and we love it. :cheers:
I would appreciate if you could share the cost of your solar system as we are looking to add next year :party:

Bruce, Thanks for the excellent input - the amount of choices are staggering for my pea-brain.

Brentr, I have several preliminary estimates, but they are all over the place. One estimate with 8 Fafco panels is the same price as another with ten Heliocol panels (both the 12' lengths) with both around $4500. I got two other less reputable estimates, one at $3300 with no product or quantity proposed, and another with 12 panels at $6800, but no mention of brand or size for those panels.

Since I asked for and got good advice, might I take the next step? I interviewed five companies and down selected to three based on anecdotal info from co-workers (and anyone else who would stand still long enough for me to ask), BBB records, Internet searches, etc. I am hoping for round 2 of estimates this Wednesday, mostly based on changes I requested after reading a lot of info on TFP! At that point I intend to have the two best companies make a best and final offer on a equivalent product basis (same size filters, etc.) - and why I made the above request.

EDIT:
I would like to receive some additional opinions about automation. Several prospective PBs have stated the same opinion as simicrintz, that automation for a simple pool like I envision is overkill.

My thinking, based on simple pool equipment/supply places, is that a product such as EasyTouch adds only a hundred or so to the system, but would allow for things like automatic pump speed switching as the solar heat system went on/off-line, not to mention Intellichlor control, etc. Am I overthinking this?

Sorry for what some might think are stupid questions, but I have little experience base to draw upon other than the good folks here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.