Sundance Cameo 880 (model year 2014) control board possibly dead

presse55

Bronze Supporter
Aug 8, 2016
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Folks, I fear the worst.

To make a long story short, in the course of routine yard work, the power cable to the spa (240V, 3 lead) got damaged. The GFCI tripped, and the control panel was blank. I switched power to that circuit off from the home circuit breaker panel.

Prior to replacing the damaged power cable, we decided to move the spa, essentially turning it 180 degrees, to better orient the seats with respect to our property.

So in short, damaged cable, dead control panel, and a spa which was tossed about!

Our building contractor (not an electrician) reconnected our setup. Upon turning breakers on, nothing happens. The control panel is blank, no pumps run.

Said contractor confirms the spa control panel is powered. He put a probe on 'various locations' on the spa mobo and says voltage is present.

I'm at a total loss as to what to do next.

Who can I trust to troubleshoot this situation/circuit board? Should I even try? Should I instead assume the board is dead, and simply replace it (500$ ouch!), as opposed to troubleshooting it?

Thanks in advance!

Ron
Montreal

Ron,

I would not think that cutting the main power cable would hurt the control panel. My guess is that the power is not making it to the main board..

Here is the manual.. https://www.sundancespas.com/media/3475/880-series_english.pdf

Page 67 shows your unit, and the first thing I'd want to do is use a voltmeter and see what voltage you read between TP404 and TP401.. this is where the power comes into the main board. Could be that F1 is bad or it is not now wired correctly.

Could be the control panel is just disconnected. Reconnect J201.

I would want someone that has a clue to look at this before spending $500 on a new control panel.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank-you Jim for your quick response.
It's raining cats & dogs today in Montreal - I'll only be able to check voltages between TP401 & TP404 tomorrow.
I also need to replace a fuse that was damaged when trying to see if it was still intact (red circle in pic below).

Ron
Montreal

Sundance board damaged fuse.jpg

Problem solved!
A very large fuse (barely visible, yellow tags, bottom left in previous post) had gone bad.
I replaced it, and voilà! spa is now running ...

Nearly :confused:

Every thing works, the display panel, lights, jet pumps, ... only the circulation pump isn't working.

I measured voltage at the pump and read 0V.
See pic below, our spa is wired differently than the manual; the pic corresponds to actual spa wiring.
I powered the pump from a different supply, and it works.
So pump is Okay, and logic is not powering it up.

I read elsewhere it might be a relay.

If so,would it be reasonable to somehow safely bypass the logic and rewire the circulation pump to 'permanently' on?

Looking for suggestions!

Thanks in advance!

Ron
Montreal

test circ pump.jpg

Ron,

Not telling you what to do, but my circulation pump never shuts off.

I suspect that your system is in some kind of timed mode where the circulation pump only comes on for an hour a day or some other timed condition. I am not sure about your specific spa, but many of them have logic that controls how long they run in the summer, or when they are in the economy mode, etc... I would carefully read the manual before hot wiring it.

At least you did not have to buy a new control panel as you had original thought.. :D

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.