Heating Recommendations Requested

Our pool heater has bit the dust, and I'm looking at options for how to heat the pool. Our old heater was a natural gas Hayward one, so old that I don't even think the model is relevant (it was 15-20 yrs old). I'm open to looking at different types of heat sources.

Context - we bought our house 3 years ago. We're first time home owners and first time pool people. We live in the Toronto, Canada area - which features miserably wet, cold winters and hot, humid summers. The pool is a great thing to have for the hot summer months, and we have it open from mid/end of May to late September.

Pool conditions - our heater is shot (badly corroded, thermostat is gone, so is the limiter switch. Not worth fixing). Our pump is also old but is working steadily. I thought there was some issue with air leaking, but I seem to have fixed that. I'm hoping to get another 3 yrs out of it, but would consider replacing it, if there's a compelling reason. Our pool liner has some wrinkles in it - seems to be coming loose from the floor of the pool in places. So it will likely need replacing as well.

In terms of heating, we need something that will get the pool to about 80-85 degrees. Our pool season starts off pretty chilly (nights around 50-55 degrees F) and goes to about 104 degrees F in mid season before going back down to chilly again in September. We'd like to keep the pool at a fairly constant temperature all season, and can wait a few days to get to temperature - ie. really rapid heating is not required. Fairly constant heat is.)

Our house is south facing, and it is possible to put solar paneling on our roof, although it is 3 storeys up (we have a walkout basement). There is no room in the back yard for solar panels. I'm open to considering the possibility, but I do have some worries as we get the occasional windstorm here.

I know I do not want electric - the operating costs here are particularly high here in Ontario - electricity rates are through the roof.

Natural gas is what we have and would be the obvious option. We would be planning to get something much more efficient than we have now.

Heat pumps - not very familiar with them, and not interested if it is just going to run on electricity.

I am seriously researching an AC heat exchanger pool heater called a Hotspot (which is basically a heat pump that takes the heat energy from the AC and moves it to the pool). It wouldn't require any further energy. It sounds really interesting, but may not be feasible in Canada (due to regulations, AC warranty, and whether or not it is appropriate for our environment. I have hope, but not confidence, that we can install one).

Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations - would be very much appreciated.

I replied to your PM about this. Its gone from my account though so I can't tell if you got it. I think it would work well for you. Let me know if you have any questions.

I am seriously researching an AC heat exchanger pool heater called a Hotspot (which is basically a heat pump that takes the heat energy from the AC and moves it to the pool). It wouldn't require any further energy. It sounds really interesting, but may not be feasible in Canada (due to regulations, AC warranty, and whether or not it is appropriate for our environment. I have hope, but not confidence, that we can install one).

Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations - would be very much appreciated.

You live in Canada, correct? How often do you use your AC? Here in FL our AC runs from about March/April thru Nov/Dec.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.