PVC Pipe Tool?

hodag

Oct 2, 2009
I have a Raypak heater that is leaking at the point where the PVC pipes from the pool attach to the heater. The pipes are secured with two screw-on collars obviously meant to be hand tightened, but if they were King Kong did the installation.

I think this is a simple matter of unscrewing the collar, replacing the seal, and maybe liberal application of some Teflon tape. However, I can't budge the collars. The pipes are big, maybe 3", and that is bigger than my largest pipe wrench, channel locks, etc.

How the heck do you get these things loose? Is there a special tool I should look for?

A strap wrench is what you want. You can find them at Lowe's.

I have these and use them all the time:

820909505402md.jpg

If the strap wrench doesn't work (I actually broke the strap on one once trying to break a union loose), you can buy ginormous channel locks which will do the trick. I bought a set after I broke my strap wrench mentioned above.

if you buy channel locks, spray your channel locks with a silicone based spray and let dry, if you let them get rusty they are hard to re-adjust. Its easier to maintain something when it new and shiny versus trying to free up a rusted tool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.