Help with pool light choice

Nov 13, 2009
Carlsbad, CA
Hello,

I would love some advice on pool lights. Right now we have the Pentair SAM 2 of them 120 volt for the pool and 2 other colored pentair lights for the spa and grotto. They are all in a box and not yet installed.

Our pool is free form and 870 sq ft.

Should we switch to the LED Intellibrite?

Our relatives just installed a pool and love their LED and suggested that we switch now before they are installed.

What do you think? The SAM or the LED?

The SAM lights were great when they first came out. However, LED is the best way to go right now.

Not only are LED lights easier to use but they also last much longer than traditional 500w bulbs and are much more efficient.

I am not sure of the replacement cost of SAM's bulbs, but if my LED's where 2 month
older and not under warranty I was looking at $600.00 plus taxes to replace just
2 bulbs. Something to think about.

haybird said:
I am not sure of the replacement cost of SAM's bulbs, but if my LED's where 2 month
older and not under warranty I was looking at $600.00 plus taxes to replace just
2 bulbs. Something to think about.

That is a good point. I'm not sure what Pentair and Hayward offer as warranties on the LED bulbs in their fixtures. However, most of the aftermarket LED bulbs typically offer a warranty for several years. Color Splash bulbs from J&J Electronics carry a 3 year warranty.

The bulb for a Sam light should be under $20.00.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.