Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with pool light choice

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with pool light choice

Hello,

I would love some advice on pool lights. Right now we have the Pentair SAM 2 of them 120 volt for the pool and 2 other colored pentair lights for the spa and grotto. They are all in a box and not yet installed.

Our pool is free form and 870 sq ft.

Should we switch to the LED Intellibrite?

Our relatives just installed a pool and love their LED and suggested that we switch now before they are installed.

What do you think? The SAM or the LED?
    Carlsbad, CA, 45x23.5, 27,000 gallon free form pool being installed now, 870 sq ft,18" raised spa w wide vanishing edge, grotto, sun shelf, 6 ft deep end, 3.5 shallow, pentair variable speed pump, 2 pentair whisperflow pumps, pentair minmax 400 BTU heater, easy touch pentair control panel, 4 LED Intellibrite lights, 2 in the pool 1 in grotto and 1 in the spa

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Help with pool light choice

IMO, I think that the LED Intellibrites are by far a better choice than the SAM or SAL.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

The SAM lights were great when they first came out. However, LED is the best way to go right now.

Not only are LED lights easier to use but they also last much longer than traditional 500w bulbs and are much more efficient.
    Josh Ulfers - TFP Supporting Vendor - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you so much for your input!

Now I am going to work on our PB with returning the SAM and switching to LED.
    Carlsbad, CA, 45x23.5, 27,000 gallon free form pool being installed now, 870 sq ft,18" raised spa w wide vanishing edge, grotto, sun shelf, 6 ft deep end, 3.5 shallow, pentair variable speed pump, 2 pentair whisperflow pumps, pentair minmax 400 BTU heater, easy touch pentair control panel, 4 LED Intellibrite lights, 2 in the pool 1 in grotto and 1 in the spa

5. Back To Top    #5

I am not sure of the replacement cost of SAM's bulbs, but if my LED's where 2 month
    older and not under warranty I was looking at $600.00 plus taxes to replace just
    2 bulbs. Something to think about.
    16x32 inground vinyl 8' deep end
    1hp Northstar Pump, 20" Sand Filter
    6ft Double Lounge, 2 Aqua Lamps w/remote
    216sqft Sungrabber Panels (9- 2'x12') a little undersized

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by haybird
    I am not sure of the replacement cost of SAM's bulbs, but if my LED's where 2 month
    older and not under warranty I was looking at $600.00 plus taxes to replace just
    2 bulbs. Something to think about.
    That is a good point. I'm not sure what Pentair and Hayward offer as warranties on the LED bulbs in their fixtures. However, most of the aftermarket LED bulbs typically offer a warranty for several years. Color Splash bulbs from J&J Electronics carry a 3 year warranty.

The bulb for a Sam light should be under $20.00.
    Josh Ulfers - TFP Supporting Vendor - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps