Thinking about installing Gunite Pool

Sep 18, 2018
Tifton Ga
I know pools come in many shapes and sizes but what is the average going rate for a kidney type shape Gunite 16x32? I am wanting a waterfall as well so I am wondering do I ask the contractor what type of waterfall I am looking for? I have 3 quotes already but just wondering what is "around" the going rate for this type pool. It would be chlorine and 6 ft.

Justin,

There is no "normal" price because pool costs are very location specific. The same pool in a rich neighborhood will cost more than the same pool in a not so rich neighborhood. While you are evaluating the pool builder, they are evaluating you and the difficulty of building a pool in your yard.

That said, I would guess the pool you want would be in the $40 to $45K range.

I suggest you look into a saltwater pool... A Saltwater pool is a chlorine pool, it just makes its own chlorine.

Thanks,

Jim R.

For a typical pool, depending on local market and "bells'n'whistles", you're looking at $30,000 - $60,000. Add fancy landscaping/design, water features, access issues, rock issues, the sky's the limit! Many will go over $100,000!

Also you have to consider money spent on ground prep. In our case we had to have a mess of trees taken down which added to our cost enormously.

Is you land flat? bare? or do you have some challenges like uneven lot, trees or rock to deal with?

Maddie :flower:

You already have the answer to your question - take the three quotes you have and average them....that’s the “going rate”. As Jim said, prices vary by region and by locality...in my area it costs more to build a pool inside the city limits of Tucson than it does where I live out in the county. And the border between the city and the county is literally a mile down the road from me.

Also please reply with thoughts on SWG vs Chlorine? Builder says it’s same price to do it now or later and said pros and cons with each - mentioned the costly swg parts that wear out and need to be replaced over time vs chemical cost on chlorine - so it’s basically a 2k difference to do it now or wait and see if chlorine fits needs?

SWG all the way. Get it now so that your plumbing is in order at the onset. Saves having to slip one in to pvc to line up later....and there *would* be a later as you'll want one!

Its hassle free.. you can go on vacation and know the pool is getting its daily dose right on schedule...salt water makes for a silkier feel to the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So SWG how do I know what size if they quote me one on if it's right or not? Also, am I right on saying that I wouldn't need a pool guy if I have a SWG vs Chlorine as SWG does not require as much "maintenance"?

SWG all the way. Get it now so that your plumbing is in order at the onset. Saves having to slip one in to pvc to line up later....and there *would* be a later as you'll want one!

Its hassle free.. you can go on vacation and know the pool is getting its daily dose right on schedule...salt water makes for a silkier feel to the water.

So SWG how do I know what size if they quote me one on if it's right or not? Also, am I right on saying that I wouldn't need a pool guy if I have a SWG vs Chlorine as SWG does not require as much "maintenance"?

LOL... pool guy?? What's that?! Oh. Wait.... I *have* a pool guy and his nickname is Skippy! He works cheap...a good dinner and homemade cookies and he's good to go. All he does routinely is empty the skimmer basket now and then.

We always recommend a SWG for at least 2x the pool size. Because we know SWGs have a expected lifespan so the less you need to use it (yet still get all the FC you need) the longer it should last! Mine is 7 years old, never been cleaned and works like a champ. I run it at low settings for 6-8 hours a day and thats all I need. It gets turned off as soon as the water cools in fall and we just use a little bleach when necessary. And it isn't necessary very often in cold water.

A good robot will take care of cleaning the floor of leaves and other debris. Skippy says the money we spent on "Sheldon" our Dolphin Discovery robot was the best money we've spent on the pool yet. It brushes the walls, keeps the schmutz picked up and uses very little electricity. Much better choice than any pressure/suction type cleaner that often requires a second pump for.

As you learn your pools "personality" the only thing you'll do routinely is test the water. If all is good... you do nothing else. If something is wonky you fix it and go swimming. I shouldn't admit this but I just tested my pool for the first time in about a week and the water is just as perfect as it was when new. (I do have a cover which helps that a lot, admittedly)

Different market, but for comparison here in the Dallas area that would be about $45-50K for a basic pool. Low 50's if you got happy with the upgrades such as travertine, top of the line plaster and tile, sprinkler system work, etc. Add a spa and you would easily be in the 55k's-65k's. We got 4 quotes ourselves.

Question -

If I decide on SWG should I let them installer do that? Do I tell them what SWG I want or do they just put what they want in? If I do make a recommendation what should I do? I know most are 1500-2000 around here to switch from the estimate of Chlorine to SWG but I'm guessing that is for what they want to install.

Right now I have estimates for a 16x32 with a water feature and kool decking. Anything else I should be asking about?

Also please reply with thoughts on SWG vs Chlorine? Builder says it’s same price to do it now or later and said pros and cons with each - mentioned the costly swg parts that wear out and need to be replaced over time vs chemical cost on chlorine - so it’s basically a 2k difference to do it now or wait and see if chlorine fits needs?

This is our first season with a pool. If I could change a few things I would have started with the SWG and a pool cleaning robot. I will be adding these next year. The hassel of finding good chlorine not out of date was harder than I expected. Carting jugs of chlorine around gets old. Just get the SWG you will not regret it. Getting a pool was the best thing we have done for our selves. Just amazing.

What you pay upfront for the SWG just about equals the cost of the liquid chlorine over the lifespan of the device. You just have to be able to afford it upfront.

Its nice to get at the beginning because then the plumber puts it in line easily. Sometimes adding it after the fact is a little more challenging to find the right place in the PVC and may have to add some bits here and there to make it work.

Also “I’ve heard” SWG can hurt the gunite pools and eat it away and make resurfacing sooner than later? Is that true? The quote I got for SWG is 2k more to add it is that about average? Any questions i need to ask?

- - - Updated - - -

Also one builder was pitching UV instead of Salt or chlorine have those been discussed much on here?

OMGosh... what a bunch of baloney! SWGs don't hurt cement and plaster one bit!! Bad chemical maintenance can cause you to need to resurface sooner than normal. Usually that is the pH or calcium out of whack.

My PB cost for a SWG was $1400 seven years ago.

Do *not* fall for UV! You live in Georgia where the sun gives us *plenty* of free UV. Why pay for more?? Those have a purpose for indoor pools and public pools but not yours at all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.