Intro & Sharing

Sep 12, 2018
Boonton NJ
Hi TFP Community,

I purchased a new home in Dec 2016 with a 20ft by 40ft lined inground pool and have been lurking here ever since. The previous owners of my home either knew they were selling or did not realize the poor state of the liner. I've spent the last year learning about SLAMming and just trying to maintain the pool. I needed to replace the liner, received several quotes and then decided to perform the job myself.

I thought I'd share some pics to introduce myself:

Before: 20180521_195219.jpg

Liner Replacement in Progress: Unfortunately for me all the people whom were so passionate to help were "busy" or disappeared when the weather decided to cooperate. So I had the pleasure of installing the liner over the weekend by myself. It took some ingenuity but amazingly not as tough as I expected. If I had to recommend, get friends to help. I can also share the company that supplied the liner as they were great.
IMG_1418.jpg

I'll provide more photos in the next post.

Hi Everyone for the welcome!

Thought I'd share the rest of the project. First photos were embedded and capped out.

Liner removal was not too bad just messy. Plus I should have worn gloves. 18 year old vinyl is mighty sharp. My deep end also filled up with ground water. Fortunately I have a dry well installed which you can recognize if you have a tube just coming out of the ground. Trip to harbor freight for a semi trash pump and some flex PVC solved the problem!
IMG_1421-M.jpg

Installing the line was quite a challenge by my self. Took some time and work but once it's in and a few extra trips to home depot the liner started taking shape:
20180826_143018-M.jpg

Please if you do this be careful of wet liners. I may have slipped once. Also that fresh water is mighty cold so falling in is a shock.

The finished product came out great though!
20180902_092253-M.jpg

I bought all new returns, faceplates and liner lock. I'm looking forward to new looking pool and using the forum more. I already have my next projects lined up as I'll be converting the pool to salt water and installing a variable speed pump. I've just ordered a Circupool rj-60+ and a Circupool variable pump. I know the pump's not the best known but the warranty is great for a DIYer like me! Let you know how it goes! Now I'll just need to solve that coping and deck.....

Cheers,

Scott

I ordered the pool liner from an poolwarehouse. You need to measure the pool yourself using the forms which they provide following their instructional video. I must have measured the pool 10 times to confirm my measurements were correct.

Once complete, you submit the form and they will make drawings of the pool based on your measurement. Once the measurements are signed off, they send the measurements to the liner manufacturer who then makes a more detailed drawing and they highlight any concerns or issues which must be resolved prior to manufacturing. Once complete, the liner ships on a pallet to your home! Honestly, I was terrified I made a mistake in the liner dimensions!

I've already ordered the SWG and variable speed pump. I plan to install next season but wanted to get everything lined up right away.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support