Remove and store filter and pump for winter?

HiddenRiver

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 15, 2017
East Coventry, PA
When we purchased this house three years ago (first time pool owners) the previous owner had regularly stashed the filter and pump in the barn for the winter. The PS guy opened our pool for the first time and also continues to close it (someday we will have the guts to do it). The guy told us we should leave the pump and filter out for the winter, that it didn’t much matter whether it was inside all winter or not. What are thoughts on that? We have left everything out the past two winters, but now having second thoughts.

My filter and pump have always stayed outside (can not really remove the filter) and plumbing. But, after replacing the pump and visually seeing the condition after taking it apart, I will bring in my pump only for the winter inside. The old pump and housing will act as a dummy as I created new fittings along with unions. Anything stored inside will be better off. The filter should be covered out of the sun. Remember filters also weight a lot and are hard to store.

My filter and pump have always stayed outside (can not really remove the filter) and plumbing. But, after replacing the pump and visually seeing the condition after taking it apart, I will bring in my pump only for the winter inside. The old pump and housing will act as a dummy as I created new fittings along with unions. Anything stored inside will be better off. The filter should be covered out of the sun. Remember filters also weight a lot and are hard to store.

Thanks Catanzaro. It seems intuitive that the equipment would stay in better condition inside, but I know this is outside equipment so maybe just being picky.

Not at all. Can you bring the pump in easily? Do you have unions?

Not exactly sure what unions are...but here is a picture.
e152c29c9b660f5800710a531730f4ba.jpg

The 2 gray unions near the suction side of the pump and the white union towards the return side. Use Teflon lube and plug with winter plugs. Also, you will need to disconnect the ground/bonding wire and the 3 wires to the timer. There may be more wires. Please take pictures of everything and write everything down for next year. Shut off power to everything before handling wires with electricity. Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.