Dead Mosquitoes in Pool

wakasm

Jul 6, 2018
Somewhere East Coast
Hello All,

I wasn't sure which forum to post this under. First-year owning a pool and you have been super helpful for my needs. (Full Details About my pool here). My numbers are where they should be, water is perfectly clear, we've been swimming in the pool very frequently. Pool is currently still open.

Twice in the past month, overnight, I've woken up to thousands of dead mosquitoes in my pool. There are so many that they form a dark black ring around the entire thing. I do not believe they are breeding in it. I have never seen a larva (and know what they look like). I have never even seen more than a few in the air. The pool will be completely clean the night before and then boom - it's like Mosquito genocide. I assume they are breeding somewhere else and then migrating to my pool - but - cleaning them is a pain.

Cleaning it takes way longer than normal. The Skimmer doesn't seem to pull them in at all and they never get pulled under the water's surface, even if they reach the skimmer. They also mostly seem to clump around the walls of the pool, which there are so many, it creates a black ring around the whole thing.

Using a skimmer basket manually is how I've been dealing with (just like anything else), but because of the sheer mass of dead mosquitos, if you disturb them at all in the wrong way, a clump of like 200 mosquitoes will spread very quickly into the center of the pool making it really really hard to clean.

My questions:

1) Is this normal?
2) Is there something I should be doing to prevent this?
3) Is there any tactic to cleaning them - maybe something to dissolve them or some tool that I don't know about that helps cleaning along the walls of the pool preventing them from spreading when you start creating waves from the skimmer basket? Maybe some cleaner robot I don't know about?

Thanks for any insight. I am guessing this is normal.

(If this double posts - I apologize, I was getting errors in chrome when trying to post).

Well that is a new one to me! That is a lot of them to have enough you can see them clearly :shock: Have you done a walk about in your yard to see where they are breeding? Are there any homes/yards/pools in the area that are not being cared for so have turned into "ponds"?

As for cleaning them out of your pool.............I am thinking maybe looking at your returns to see if they are doing the best job of moving the water in a circulatory movement to get them into your skimmer...........I use ping pong balls to help me see how my water moves.

Wait...........Are you saying they are big enough they do not go through the holes in the skimmer basket?? Those are some big ones you are dealing with there!!

I will think some more no this and see if I think of anything else to help.

Kim:kim: (who only thought she had a mosquito problem)

Have heard that mosquitoes don’t travel far. I think it’s about 100m, so check within that radius of your pool. You might find the problem lays in a neighbours yard.

To remove them I would probably brush down the walls to loosen them off, then get them out with a net. What a pain though. I hope you find their breeding ground.

When do you run your pump? Do you have a VS pump?

What is your FC & PH?

Could your pool light be automatically turning on at night?

Do you spray your property for mosquitoes?

I'll take pictures next time. I was in such a rush to clean it this past time because we had family visiting.

Wait...........Are you saying they are big enough they do not go through the holes in the skimmer basket?? Those are some big ones you are dealing with there!!

No, the opposite, they are really really small, so, even if a clump make it into the skimmer, pulling out the basket, they are so small, they don't come up and go through the skimmer basket holes. They are also so small that they never get pulled down under the surface. I just ended up using a cup to scoop and dump them in that scenario. The skimmer pole net though is usable, although having to shake them off the net is also annoying because they are so small they stick, and you really have to bang the net with your hand (something you don't have to do with leaves or larger bugs).

As for cleaning them out of your pool.............I am thinking maybe looking at your returns to see if they are doing the best job of moving the water in a circulatory movement to get them into your skimmer...........I use ping pong balls to help me see how my water moves.

Do you have any more specifics, as I am not sure what I should be looking into. I notice that in my pool, leaves and what not tend to pool up in two spots, as if they water is not fully circulating. I should try ping pong balls, that's a good idea.

I honestly feel like my skimmer doesn't do it's job and that me manually cleaning the pool every few days is what keeps it clean. Which, I don't mind too much, but would love to correct this. I had pool people over to help teach me some stuff early on(as recommended by this forum) and I had asked them if the suction/flow was strong and they told me it was.

When do you run your pump? Do you have a VS pump?

24/7. I do have a Variable Speed pump (I believe, or it might just be two seperate pumps, I can link the picture), but I almost never use the extra pump as it messes with the SWG. When the pool company was here they said I shouldn't really ever be using the second pump.

What is your FC & PH?

My FC is 8.0 and pH is 7.8 as of my last reading right before the last wave of Mosquitos

Could your pool light be automatically turning on at night?

It definately isn't. Have a camera set up as well, but it would be extremely noticable if it was as we don't keep any lights on in the back yard at night.

Do you spray your property for mosquitoes?

We don't, but only have lived here 2 months. This is maybe something we should look into, but have a dog, so not really 100% sure the best answer on this.

Do you have a main drain (the one in the bottom of the pool)?

You have already seen what I was looking for when you talk about the leaves and such going to those spots and hanging out. Your returns may (should) have something like this: Amazon.com : Hayward SP1419D White 3/4-Inch Opening Hydrostream Directional Flow Inlet Fitting with 1-1/2-Inch MIP Thread : Swimming Pool Safety Products : Garden Outdoor The outside collar can be turned to loosen it so you can move the inside "eyeball" this way or that. You can play with them to see if you can get the stuff on top to head to the skimmer better.

I ask about the main drain as most of the time you can adjust the flow from the main drain and the skimmer. That may help the skimmer work better as well.

We will get this all dialed in!

Kim:kim:

We don't, but only have lived here 2 months. This is maybe something we should look into, but have a dog, so not really 100% sure the best answer on this.

Spraying your property for mosquitoes and ticks is good to do. Dogs can get Lyme disease that can be as debilitating to them as humans.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.