Air bubbeling into pool when pump is turned on

Oct 7, 2009
Hello everyone,
I know very little about my pool or the equipment. I purchased my home two months ago and it took almost that long for me to get a handle on the green swamp of a pool that had been neglected for who knows how long. :ncool:
Thanks to this site, I have a good handle on my chemicals, a good test kit and now a sparkling clean pool. My question is... Ever since I changed the sand in my filter, I get bubbles in the pool from the inlets when I turn on the pump. And when I put the navigator in, the filter fills with air very quickly, I am constantly releasing pressure. I do have a small drip at the filters belly band, The O ring is new. I applied lube, but some sand stuck to it when putting it all back together. Is this the cause for the air in the system maybe? Do I need to take it all apart and make sure every tiny grain of sand is off the O ring before sealing it back up? Everything was fine prior to the sand change so I'm convinced it's something I did or didn't do when I changed the sand.

30,000 gallon In ground, concrete. Pentair sand filter. 2hp pump. four floor inlets, four side wall inlets, one skimmer.

Since the filter is leaking, your return plumbing may be partially empty when the pump comes on, creating bubbles when the air is pumped into the pool. The pump strainer basket housing is another place to check. It should remain full when the pump is off. The fact that the Navigator makes it worse points to a leak at the strainer basket lid or in the plumbing between the skimmer(s)/drain and the pump.

Keep in mind: Air in line= Suction side leak. This is prior to the impeller in your pump.
Water leak= Pressure side leak. Only occurs after the pump's impeller. (i.e. - tank leak, pump seal leak, etc.)

Make sure your pool vac hoses are filled with water before you connect it. Easiest way to do this is feed the hose straight down into the water. As perfectly vertical of a feed as you can get it. It'll force the air out, so by the time you're at the other end, you'll see the last of the air being forced out. Otherwise it gets sucked right into the tank.
| <--Hose
_____________|_________ <-- Water
|
| <--Feed down nice and vertical.

Not sure what happened when you changed the sand, specifically. O rings can just start leaking! The air you're seeing is not from your tank o-ring. Check and lube, or replace and lube your pump lid o-ring. That's a common cause of air in the line.

Hi there...I've had bubbles as well and in reading several posts (here and elsewhere) the potential sources are:

- Leak in the plumbing
- fittings not tight enough
- low water level
- SWCG makes bubbles do to chemical reactions

In make case, I am following closely as the potential source of bubbles is a low water line...when it rains and the pool level goes up a bit, i don't get bubbles anymore...trial and error i guess...

Is it the same filter you pictured in your other post? Did you get the leak stopped in the push-pull valve?

Yes. It is the same pump and filter in my previous post. I turned out the "knowledgeable" pool guy I hired was wrong, I did not need a new backwash valve, it was simply a matter of a tiny O ring in the cap that was cracked. Once that was replaced everything ran fine, no leaks, no bubbles in pool. I ran it for several weeks before I changed the sand in the filter. The leaf basket is not losing water when the pump is turned off, and I do make sure the hoses on the navigator are full of water before attaching to the skimmer. Like I said everything was fine and dandy until I changed the sand. I guess I need to pull it apart again. Maybe I pinched the O ring when sealing it or something. I live in Tucson, Arizona and it's not cold here yet, so I know pipes have not frozen and burst.
The water level is good, and the lid on the leaf basket is sealed, no cracks etc.

sounds like a suction leak. If the nav. is older than the 2 months you have been in the house check the hoses for leaks. It could be sucking air thru a crack in the hose. If not there then stand by the pump and have someone turn it off while you watch the pump and see if any water squirts or even drips out when you shut it off. also check the 3 way valve in front of the pump, the stem seal can leak and cause this.

The pressure side leak is a issue but it wouldnt change anything just by hooking up the nav.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.