Pool Cleaner For Small Pool

momtaps

Bronze Supporter
Oct 8, 2011
Kingwood, Texas
We are in process of choosing equipment for new pool build. Had pool at previous home with Kreepy Krauly Legend pool cleaner with a separate pump to run it. This new pool will only be 7’ x 28’ (rectangular) due to utility easement. Pool builder is recommending same cleaner with separate pump again. Main pool pump will be Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST variable speed.Is it really necessary to have a separate pump? Is there a better type of cleaner we should consider? We shouldn’t have any leaf debri, only pine needles.

Honestly, many people today seem to be going with robot cleaners as opposed to pressure/suction activated cleaners that require pump assistance. You might look into some of those (i.e. Dolphin) and compare prices/features. When I finally decide to crack-open my squeaky wallet, that's the route I will go.

Never had a robot, so can't speak to those. I suspect, though, that they do the best job of cleaning out of the three. I converted my pressure-side vac system (a Polaris 280, which did need a booster pump) to a suction-side vac system (a Rebel, which does not need an extra pump). Cleaning ability, in my pool, is pretty much the same. And a suction-side vac does not have a tail, which can cause problems.

There are many pros and cons to each type of system. I like my Rebel. I don't want to have to remove a robot from the pool after each use, nor clean its "filter bag" each time, nor deal with the cord across my deck. On the other hand, my Rebel has a big, floating hose connected to it, and doesn't brush the pool surface and edge tile like some robots can. Lots of trade offs... lots of opinions about both...

We are in process of choosing equipment for new pool build. Had pool at previous home with Kreepy Krauly Legend pool cleaner with a separate pump to run it. This new pool will only be 7’ x 28’ (rectangular) due to utility easement. Pool builder is recommending same cleaner with separate pump again. Main pool pump will be Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST variable speed.Is it really necessary to have a separate pump? Is there a better type of cleaner we should consider? We shouldn’t have any leaf debri, only pine needles.

You don't need a booster pump for a non-booster pressure cleaner like the Polaris 360 so you can go that route or you can look at the Polaris 7240, this is relatively new on the market. Lower cost and good for smaller pools and should be fine for pine needles.

https://www.polarispool.com/en/products/robotic/polaris-7240

What's your budget and expectations? Stairs and shelves or other features?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.