Easy touch issues with freeze protection feature

serge

Nov 2, 2009
Katy, TX
This is a new one...my Easy Touch System" is acting up again. I have been following its behavior lately and discovered that every time the freeze protection feature is activated (usually at night), the following day the filter pump starts (in auto mode) to stop every hour on the hour for one minute. Has anyone had similar issues?

I've got the same issue with my Easy Touch system. I also live in Houston so I'm assuming you had an issue the same time I did. The freeze protection kicked in when we go the snow fall early this month. By the next day the temperature had risen enough to take the freeze protection off however, my pumps both kept cutting out. I never saw a pattern but it did seem like they were stopping about once per hour, maybe a little more often than that. It continued for a couple of days and then I turned off the breakers to my system to reset it. Since then it has worked perfect again.

I'm assuming this is a firmware bug with the software. I have a main pump and a separate cleaning pump which runs my infloor system. Both pumps were cutting out. The problem with the infloor system was that once the pump turned off, it had to wait for the built in delay to pass before turning back on.

The other interesting thing is that we used the spa one night and had the temperature up to 99 degrees. The pump still turned off and when it came back on it was pumping cold water from the pool into the spa. I guess the valve actuator had also been reset when the pump turned off.

As you say, it all indicates it's a software bug (another one). I noticed that after the freeze protection activated, it took one cycle (I have the filter pump and the booster pump (robot) scheduled in auto mode for the 3 hours these days) for the system to start working normally again. I also tried re-setting the breaker(s) after the freeze condition and that also seemed to bring the system back to normal.

I say this is another software bug is because i recently had the Intellichlor unit checked by pentair (still under warranty) due to a CHK FLOW/PCB alert in the remote (under diagnostics/Intellichlor, etc). The tech that came out told me I had the latest version and that they (Pentair) were working on a fix for that bug and we should wait for an update sometime (sigh!!!)

Note for the other post: I have read the manuals inside and out and no mention of this type of problem (obvious)...Thanks to TFP we are comparing notes and getting the answers we can't get anywhere else !!

serge

This issue has happened to me as well. Luckily, I got in touch with knowlegable people including my pool builder AND Pentair. You need to "flash" update your EasyTouch system firmware to Version number 2.070 which was released on 08/01/09. The readme states "Fixed issue with Pump Stopping and restarting every 15 minutes in odd circumstance. The flaw would only occur after the unit had been in freeze mode. If the unit was reset, or powered off and on - the problem would disappear - until next freeze occurence. Once Freeze has occured, and the unit has not been reset - the issue occurs."

Have your PB or Pentair send someone to replace your OUTDOOR control panel board OR update the firmware. This will fix the problem. There was a bug in the previous version and it only does this when freeze mode is activated for the first time after a "system reset". Thats why we are just noticing it (in the winter). Check your version by going to Diagnostics and Software Rev. Your outdoor Control Panel (UOC) should read 2.070. If its not, then you may want to get the firmware upgraded. This only affects the Outdoor panel, not the indoor, nor the remote firmware....Hope this helps!
Don

Ok..Was updated to version 2.08 last Friday...will know this week (if we get cold enough) if "freeze protection" bug was fixed. The "CHECK PBC/FLOW" error was substituted by a "LOW FLOW" error. Will check plates, etc to make sure is not a hardware problem...

Serge, Check the ver of your intellichlor. And take the cover off the intellichlor power center and look to see if you have three big resistors on the PC board, or if you just have one, and two jumper wires where resistors would go (side by side next to the other resistor). If you have only one resistor, and its still under warranty, Pentair should change out whole unit to ver.2.0 . Especially if you are having:

low salt light when salinity is correct/within range.
A red power light.
Flashing life light.

These are not the only trouble lights you can get with this problem.
These are just the ones that i remembered.

Note: if its possible, arrange to be home when your pool guy comes to flash your board (in the future) to make sure that he gets inside to flash the indoor controller as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One other issue with Freeze protection to be wary of. This weekend, I put my Easytouch system in Service mode so that I could clean my cartridge filter. I wanted to soak the filters overnight, so I put the top to the filter back on, but didn't screw it on tight. You know where this is going. Evidently, at some point during the night, the freeze protection kicked in, even though we never got to freezing, and started the pumps. Luckily, I only lost about 5 inches of water from the pool before I noticed it. I guess, I've got to actually shut all of the breakers down to ensure that the pumps can't come on.

Guys, I have the answer to the problem:

My equipment was less than a year old, but were old firmware versions, so covered under warranty.

1. My outdoor control panel was able to be flashed to 2.080 firmware, and my error message changed to "Low Flow".

2. My indoor controller was originally 1.043 firmware and could not be flashed to 2.080 - it would be erased but could not be written over. They had to replace it with a newer version controller that could be flashed to 2.080. Still getting "Low Flow" message from Intellichlor.

3. We then changed out my intellichlor to their newest model which has a few less LED's on it. No more error message - salt level correct!

Obviously, this cold Texas winter screwed everything up with the firmware on these units basically requiring a near complete changeout of the hardware. Luckily I was under warranty. I hope Pentair is fully aware of this and helps everyone out appropriately.

Good luck.

Mine cycles now in freeze mode. I know this thread is over a year old. Pentair has updated my firmware in the last year so I would guess that it is the most up to date. Anyone have any recent updates on this topic.

Thanks.

I've been perplexed by the random behavior of my EasyTouch controlled VS+ SVRS pump for a couple years. It would stop, restart, pump for a while, stop again and repeat this cycle. Sometimes it would all work great and sometimes not. Recently, it would start, step up to full prime speed, then settle at my run speed of 2000 RPM. Then it would step up sometimes to full speed, sometimes just a few steps, resettle and repeat the cycle.

After tweaking every setting I could, I found that running my system in "Service Mode" which disables the EasyTouch panel and enables the onboard pump controller, the pump behaved as expected.

Yesterday, Pentair came out and updated my firmware from 2.06 to v2.10, no charge. So far so good! Thanks Pentair!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.