Pump goes "hmmmmmmm" (not the spinning "whrrrrrrrr")

taekwondodo

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
Older 2HP Whisperflow on 35Kg pool with Sta-Rite (big one, don't have size written down) DE filter.

Turned pump on this morning and it just hmmm'ed with no spinning. I then turned it off.
2nd try, hmmm'ed for about 3 seconds, then started. Then I turned it off.
3rd try, hmmm'ed for 3-5 seconds. I turned it off.
4th try, hmmm'ed for 3-5 seconds, internal switch in pump turned it off. Waited 5 minutes...
5th try, hmmm'ed for 3-5 seconds, pump finally started spinning. Let it run its cycle, but removed the "On" pins on its and the booster's timers.

Since the pump is old, if the fix isn't easy/cheap, may just replace with a 4-speed Intelliflo (or similar 2-speed pump).

Any ideas? Simple fix?

Thanks.

- Jeff

I'm with Bruce on this one. Sounds like the start capacitor or maybe the start switch. Either should be an easy fix.

First try pulling the back cover off the motor and look at the contacts of the start switch. (ok, the REAL first thing is to disconnect the power!!!) if they look good, look at the top of the capacitor, if it appears swelled, replace it.

Another thing to check would be for shaft corrosion. It sounds like you might have had a pump seal leak into the shaft. Your water slinger (the rubber washer on the shaft) will only do so much before it starts travelling down the shaft; this causes calcium and rust build up. The shaft will freeze up.

dudeguy37 said:
Another thing to check would be for shaft corrosion. It sounds like you might have had a pump seal leak into the shaft. Your water slinger (the rubber washer on the shaft) will only do so much before it starts travelling down the shaft; this causes calcium and rust build up. The shaft will freeze up.

And the best way to fix this is...?

dudeguy37 said:
Replace the motor. Otherwise you can take apart the motor and clean the shaft with as best as you can by sanding it a bit, and/or WD40. It's not worth the headache, though. At all. Motors are cheap nowadays.

Motor $200-$300

Sandpaper $3.00

Its not worth the headache :hammer:

While your in there replace the bearings and shaft seal, about $40.00 in parts

No; not worth it =p Most motor repairs only last a year or so. If you want to spend $50 on a fix that isn't guaranteed to last very long at all (some as little as 2 weeks), then go for it. If you're usually at work, and don't have very much time to get out to it (like the majority of the working population), then you'll be spending another $50-$100 on labor. You've now paid for half or more of a new motor. I suppose it's really a blend of your schedule, funds, and technical skills. Also, for the love of God, if you DO get a new motor, make sure it's not Emerson. Not sure about their new designs (if they're out, yet), but their motors typically last less than 2 years. No matter what. That's after stupidly using 50+ of their motors. Ugh... Good luck!

I offered to replace the motor for $300, and the guy wanted me to see if I could make this one work. It's an AO smith, and once I had the pump apart (that was a task - the seal-plate must have been leaking for years as the calcium build-up was incredible) - the shaft was grungy... White cr*p and some surface rust.

But the motor started right up - every time. So, with a little steel wool on the shaft with the motor running, it polished up to new. Replacing all the seals and gaskets (and seal plate, as it cracked getting the bolts out).

Should have it back together and in in the next few days.

- Jeff

taekwondodo said:
I offered to replace the motor for $300, and the guy wanted me to see if I could make this one work. It's an AO smith, and once I had the pump apart (that was a task - the seal-plate must have been leaking for years as the calcium build-up was incredible) - the shaft was grungy... White cr*p and some surface rust.

- Jeff

Any chance that you have a picture of this (or any others you have done)? I sure could use something like that!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here we go:

Old:
4152716485_40facfc39d_b.jpg

"New":
4152717131_a81161fe0a_b.jpg

And the plate that needs replaced:
4153477670_c02aaec895_b.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.