Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump goes "hmmmmmmm" (not the spinning "whrrrrrrrr")

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump goes "hmmmmmmm" (not the spinning "whrrrrrrrr")

Older 2HP Whisperflow on 35Kg pool with Sta-Rite (big one, don't have size written down) DE filter.

Turned pump on this morning and it just hmmm'ed with no spinning. I then turned it off.
    2nd try, hmmm'ed for about 3 seconds, then started. Then I turned it off.
    3rd try, hmmm'ed for 3-5 seconds. I turned it off.
    4th try, hmmm'ed for 3-5 seconds, internal switch in pump turned it off. Waited 5 minutes...
    5th try, hmmm'ed for 3-5 seconds, pump finally started spinning. Let it run its cycle, but removed the "On" pins on its and the booster's timers.

Since the pump is old, if the fix isn't easy/cheap, may just replace with a 4-speed Intelliflo (or similar 2-speed pump).

Any ideas? Simple fix?

Thanks.

- Jeff
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump goes "hmmmmmmm" (not the spinning "whrrrrrrrr")

How does the capacitor look on top of the motor? Any signs of leaking?

Bruce

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm with Bruce on this one. Sounds like the start capacitor or maybe the start switch. Either should be an easy fix.

First try pulling the back cover off the motor and look at the contacts of the start switch. (ok, the REAL first thing is to disconnect the power!!!) if they look good, look at the top of the capacitor, if it appears swelled, replace it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Another thing to check would be for shaft corrosion. It sounds like you might have had a pump seal leak into the shaft. Your water slinger (the rubber washer on the shaft) will only do so much before it starts travelling down the shaft; this causes calcium and rust build up. The shaft will freeze up.
    Semper Fi and Happy Pooling.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dudeguy37
    Another thing to check would be for shaft corrosion. It sounds like you might have had a pump seal leak into the shaft. Your water slinger (the rubber washer on the shaft) will only do so much before it starts travelling down the shaft; this causes calcium and rust build up. The shaft will freeze up.
    And the best way to fix this is...?
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Replace the motor. Otherwise you can take apart the motor and clean the shaft with as best as you can by sanding it a bit, and/or WD40. It's not worth the headache, though. At all. Motors are cheap nowadays.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by dudeguy37
    Replace the motor. Otherwise you can take apart the motor and clean the shaft with as best as you can by sanding it a bit, and/or WD40. It's not worth the headache, though. At all. Motors are cheap nowadays.

Motor $200-$300

Sandpaper $3.00

Its not worth the headache

While your in there replace the bearings and shaft seal, about $40.00 in parts
    13,000 IG Plaster, 2hp whisperflo pump, 48 sq in pentair DE Filter, 1 skimmer, 2 eyeball outlets, 200 sq ft solar panels on second story, Auto Pilot SWG-36, Polaris ATV Cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

No; not worth it =p Most motor repairs only last a year or so. If you want to spend $50 on a fix that isn't guaranteed to last very long at all (some as little as 2 weeks), then go for it. If you're usually at work, and don't have very much time to get out to it (like the majority of the working population), then you'll be spending another $50-$100 on labor. You've now paid for half or more of a new motor. I suppose it's really a blend of your schedule, funds, and technical skills. Also, for the love of God, if you DO get a new motor, make sure it's not Emerson. Not sure about their new designs (if they're out, yet), but their motors typically last less than 2 years. No matter what. That's after stupidly using 50+ of their motors. Ugh... Good luck!

9. Back To Top    #9

I offered to replace the motor for $300, and the guy wanted me to see if I could make this one work. It's an AO smith, and once I had the pump apart (that was a task - the seal-plate must have been leaking for years as the calcium build-up was incredible) - the shaft was grungy... White cr*p and some surface rust.

But the motor started right up - every time. So, with a little steel wool on the shaft with the motor running, it polished up to new. Replacing all the seals and gaskets (and seal plate, as it cracked getting the bolts out).

Should have it back together and in in the next few days.

- Jeff

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by taekwondodo
    I offered to replace the motor for $300, and the guy wanted me to see if I could make this one work. It's an AO smith, and once I had the pump apart (that was a task - the seal-plate must have been leaking for years as the calcium build-up was incredible) - the shaft was grungy... White cr*p and some surface rust.

- Jeff
    Any chance that you have a picture of this (or any others you have done)? I sure could use something like that!

11. Back To Top    #11

I have a before/after I'll post in the morning...

12. Back To Top    #12

Thank you

13. Back To Top    #13

Here we go:

Old:

"New":

And the plate that needs replaced:

14. Back To Top    #14

Very nice; thank you!