Is it OK to partially bury an aluminum Gibraltar pool?

Nov 24, 2009
Hello. I just purchased a 3 year old used Gibraltar aluminum above ground pool. (www.usaswim.com) I am considering burying the bottom 1-2 feet (excavate 2 feet down, set pool in excavated area, then backfill bottom 1 to 1.5 feet with crushed stone).

I am not trying to bury the entire pool...just sink it down a couple feet as compared to the surrounding landscaping. I figure if I ever have to drain it, I could pull back some of the stone to make sure it's not pushing too hard against the sides.

My yard is very dry and drains well (sandy soil). I don't expect any water to collect in the hole.

Can anyone let me know if they've done this successfully? Any strong reasons not to do this?

Thanks,

jason

A lot have buried their above ground pools to differing depths. The best thing to do is contact the mfg and get the info from them. They can tell you whether they recommend burying or not and the specifics of what to back fill with.

Hi, Jason,

Welcome to the forum. I would suggest providing some form of drainage when you are digging the hole. Might be quite a bit of extra effort but I think would result in much better conditions (rust prevention, mold, moss etc) on the outside walls.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I'll bury the bottom 1' with a 1' tall slope (over 2 feet) up to grade. This will allow me to set the pool down 2', but only bury 1'. I can't imagine I'd have any trouble with that (especially with a Gibraltar pool).

Thanks again.

Jason

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.