Robot with a longer cord

maggs

May 2, 2016
Freehold
Hi everyone. I have a salt water gunite 22 x 44 pool that is 4-8' deep with an additional 13'x13' shelf and a swim out. I am looking for a robot that will clean it all, climb walls, scrub algae, do the shelf which has water 15-18" deep only. I have a bad arm and the polaris 280 keeps even after being completely rebuilt and repaired tieing itself into a knot (the newer parts and hoses seem not to last very long, I have put them in sun for 48 hours to stretch them out and they end up tieing back into a knot by the end of the week). Plus the polaris never cleaned the steps nor the shelf.

From my calculations as my electric outlet is 8' from the pool I need a 70 to 80' electric cord to be able to get robot to clean the shelf and whole pool. Did I make a mistake as I can't find a robot with more than a 60' cord.

So which robot is best for the job on a larger pool that will scrub walls, get finer dirt out (we get sand from somewhere unknown to us as there is no beach and not in our suits, we don't get a lot of large leaves, pool is in sun all day, primary issues is staining and particulate debris) and will get up on that shelf?

Thanks.

Is there any reason a heavy duty extension cord can’t be used to get the robot’s power supply closer to the pool?

Is there any reason a heavy duty extension cord can’t be used to get the robot’s power supply closer to the pool?

Safety hazard that the power supply or end of the power cord will get pulled into the water.

Hi everyone. I have a salt water gunite 22 x 44 pool that is 4-8' deep with an additional 13'x13' shelf and a swim out. I am looking for a robot that will clean it all, climb walls, scrub algae, do the shelf which has water 15-18" deep only. I have a bad arm and the polaris 280 keeps even after being completely rebuilt and repaired tieing itself into a knot (the newer parts and hoses seem not to last very long, I have put them in sun for 48 hours to stretch them out and they end up tieing back into a knot by the end of the week). Plus the polaris never cleaned the steps nor the shelf.

From my calculations as my electric outlet is 8' from the pool I need a 70 to 80' electric cord to be able to get robot to clean the shelf and whole pool. Did I make a mistake as I can't find a robot with more than a 60' cord.

So which robot is best for the job on a larger pool that will scrub walls, get finer dirt out (we get sand from somewhere unknown to us as there is no beach and not in our suits, we don't get a lot of large leaves, pool is in sun all day, primary issues is staining and particulate debris) and will get up on that shelf?

Thanks.

The Polaris 9650iQ or 9559 units both have 70' cables and are much more suitable for larger pools. The only cleaners that come with longer cables are commercial units as already mentioned.

Getting all your pool surfaces clean 100% with a robot will be a challenge, shelves and steps are often a big challenge for many cleaners to hit 100%.

- - - Updated - - -

Safety hazard that the power supply or end of the power cord will get pulled into the water.

Yes that is correct, NEC code is 5' USA and 10' in Canada from the edge of the pool.

Do you have access via landscaping (dirt) to run an underground conduit from your present plug (or any other) to a location near your pool that will facilitate a 60' reach? That way you won't be pigeon-holed into buying a robot solely for its longer cord.

Alternately, it could be run along a fence, depending on the type of fence. Some way to install a nearer outlet, is the point.

ixnay on the extension cord. No way. Do it right.

You may find this simplistic and you may find some exceptions.......you pay for cleaning power. The more powerful (and expensive) the robot, the longer the cord is.

The manufacturer expects you will purchase a more powerful robot for a larger pool.

Get an ext. cord that will go from your plug to about half way down the side of pool and secure it somehow 10' away from pool, then plug in robot and let it go. This way the cord only needs to go about 25-30' either way. Remember, the power supply needs to be out of the sun, as they get hot as he!! in the shade and I think the heat is what kills them. I have a plug about 8' away from the side of pool and I have to roll up 20' of cord. This allows me to put the power supply under my patio.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.