Pool not dug deep enough? New construction

Sep 15, 2018
Las Vegas
So they just shot gunite Thursday, I'm paying extra for my pool to be 7 ft deep and before rebar and all that it measured right at 7 ft like barely 7 ft right after excavating. So now that the shotcrete is done it's barely as tall as I am and im 5'10"
Do I call the builder and ask about this? They say they have inspections done to confirm everything is done to plan or whatever but I don't see this pool being 7 ft deep. My coworker is suggesting that they're probably raising the sides of the pool to make it 7 ft deep. Any thoughts?
Thanks so much for any and all info.

New pool construction in las vegas, nv.

Pool dimensions are supposed to be 15' x 30' at 7'

You should never feel like you can't talk to the builder about anything you want to discuss.

Any good service takes customer concerns seriously and makes sure that the customer is happy with how everything is going.

A good service always welcomes dialogue with the customer to make sure that they are happy with everything.

So they just shot gunite Thursday, I'm paying extra for my pool to be 7 ft deep and before rebar and all that it measured right at 7 ft like barely 7 ft right after excavating. So now that the shotcrete is done it's barely as tall as I am and im 5'10"
Do I call the builder and ask about this? They say they have inspections done to confirm everything is done to plan or whatever but I don't see this pool being 7 ft deep. My coworker is suggesting that they're probably raising the sides of the pool to make it 7 ft deep. Any thoughts?
Thanks so much for any and all info.

New pool construction in las vegas, nv.

Pool dimensions are supposed to be 15' x 30' at 7'

The pool builder would be the place to start.

Hard to say without pics..
I only have the experience of my own gunite pool build to go from but to the best of my knowledge the top of the shotcreate is the top of the pool beam and this is also the top of the tile. So your water level will be 3" below that. So I believe your deep end should measure 7'-3" from top of pool beam.

I am sure others will be along to confirm or correct this..

What does the contract say? Does it state 7' WATER depth? Some of them measure 7' from the bottom of the pool to the bottom of the coping which to me is wrong. Water depth only goes to the middle of the skimmer face and my feeling is that is where the true depth should be.

Like stated above this is something you should talk to the PB. Now you have some info you can share with him.

Thanks for your reply, I emailed the designer. Last time I emailed him about something he just said it's all good if excavation missed something then will be fixed at inspection which was the footers for my patio cover which still wasnt done. I dont want to bother with silly questions because they're the professionals and I'm sure they know how to make a pool a certain depth with how many they build, but after being inside it at the deep end with shotcrete it's barely taller than me.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks I emailed them!

Thanks for your reply, I emailed the designer. Last time I emailed him about something he just said it's all good if excavation missed something then will be fixed at inspection which was the footers for my patio cover which still wasnt done. I dont want to bother with silly questions because they're the professionals and I'm sure they know how to make a pool a certain depth with how many they build, but after being inside it at the deep end with shotcrete it's barely taller than me.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks I emailed them!

If you are paying for a pool, which is a large amount of money, you shouldnt feel like you cant ask questions. If you dont check every stage you can miss things. Often the crews that come out build pool after pool, and its easy to make mistakes.

Would you buy a luxury car without asking about financing rate, options. Would you check the car out for scratches, etc. prior to driving off the lot?

The pool water line is several inches below the top of the concrete shell. Even that isnt 6 feet if you are 5'10". Something seems wrong so don't be afraid to ask and have them show you

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool should be the height from the bottom of the shell to the top of bond beam where your coping is installed.

Not sure if we are both missing something obvious but if I was building a 7 foot deep pool I would make the water level 7 feet period

This would be apps 4 inches below the coping centered on the water line tile.

Pool depth specifications are usually actual water depth, which is center of tile to top of plaster.

Definitely need to talk to the builder before anything else is done.

Ask if you're getting 7 foot actual water depth.

Then, ask them to explain how you're going to get that if the pool is not that deep.

For sure, I'm going too thanks for your reply. Im almost positive the pool isnt going to even be 6 ft deep then. Theres no way. I wonder if they'll charge me for making them fix it after they've done the shotcrete and all that.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for everyone's insight and help I really appreciate it. Going to talk to the PB and hope they fix it. And that it is not too late.

For sure, I'm going too thanks for your reply. Im almost positive the pool isnt going to even be 6 ft deep then. Theres no way. I wonder if they'll charge me for making them fix it after they've done the shotcrete and all that.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for everyone's insight and help I really appreciate it. Going to talk to the PB and hope they fix it. And that it is not too late.

If you have a signed contract that states a 7 foot deep pool, they cannot charge you more to make it 7 feet.

If anything, they owe you money if the 7 foot contractual agreement has not been met.

This is your pool, and your money. Don’t settle for less than you paid for, inground pools are not cheap!

They are going to try to wiggle out of it.. They might even try a guilt trip on you about it....."this is going to be a lot of extra work" kind of thing. IF they had done it right in the first place............ya know???

Square up your shoulders, put a smile on your face then get what you want and paid already for!! We are all behind you!

Kim:kim:

Best way to be sure is to stretch a string across the deep end, then measure straight down to the deepest point. Subtract the distance to the center of your skimmer for the actual water depth. Also note, that you will lose even more depth once the plaster is in. Cutting out the floor and increasing depth at this point is probably impossible, since it would require cutting into the rebar structure that is tied into the walls of the pool. Even if the PB can do this correctly, he will try to push back as much as he can, because this will be costly and come straight out of his profit. All depends on how much you want to push the issue and at this point it looks like you dont want to ruffle any feathers with the builder.

At the very least I would have a serious talk with the builder. Take the pool total and subtract the $2000 + the added expense for the footers that werent added per your plans. If he pushes back, like he most likely will, then explain how much more the lawyers fees will be than nust fixing the pool.

Call the builder. If the water depth isn't going to be 7' then he has a problem (not you). He may be installing an elevated bond beam and coping on top of the existing gunite (in which case, there should be rebar extending up and out of the existing gunite) but you need the clarify this with him and, if this is not the case, get him to fix it before anything else is done.

It does sound like it’s not nearly deep enough. I just wanted to say that after our gunite went in we were 100% positive that our pool was too shallow. We stood in the pool and it seemed to be pretty much my height maybe plus an inch and I’m 5’7.5”. Pool was meant to be 6’. I think I even posted in my thread here that it didn’t seem to be deep enough, but that we were ok with that as not much could be done. We were just happy that they had managed to dig to a decent depth in hard shale with zero room to manoeuvre at the deep end. Fast forward and our pool is actually over 6’ at the deepest part. Go figure! I think I was standing at the furthest end of the pool assuming it was the deepest part. It’s not in our pool the deepest section is right over our hydrostatic valve which is 1.5-2 metes from the end. I would get pb to measure with you there. It seems like you have much more of a discrepancy that we thought we had though so I think there’s a good chance you’re right. It’s up to you how important that 7’ is but it would be a lot of work to correct from the bottom.

I paid for a 9 foot deep pool. From the deepest point in the deep end to the "properly filled" water surface is exactly 9 feet deep. I checked when they finished excavating to get a rough idea if it was going to be deep enough, then checked again after gunite, and again once filled. If your pool is not deep enough, as someone else said, you skimmers would need to be redone as they are integrated into the gunite. I would not settle for a pool as shallow as you suspect it might be.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.