intex 12x30 winter

scout123

Bronze Supporter
Feb 18, 2018
Northwest GA
I have a small 12x30 intex prism frame and I'd like to leave it up over winter. I live in north GA, so we do get some freezing temps, but they don't last long. If I drain below the intake, that's half the pool, so I'd rather not drain it that much. I'd like to just plug the hole. I can't use the black intex plug bc I changed out the intake to a larger 1.5 (cut hole in pool larger). I have the intex over the wall skimmer. Can I drain out some water so that it's below the skimmer (in other words, skimmer is no longer in the water) and just leave the dangling hose that attaches to the bottom of skimmer in the pool attached to outlet strainer? Any other ideas that might work so I don't have to drain half the pool? thanks

I would not drain it at all. I would run the pump when the temps are said to go below freezing. That is what I do down here in N. FL. If you leave the hose with water in it I worry the water in the hose might freeze and burst. Let me know what you think about leaving it all connected and running. If you don't think that will work we can throw more ideas out there until we find one that will work.

Thanks. So would I just run it when temps get low or just leave it as is now all winter. Right now, I have an SWG, so it runs 3 hours a day on a timer. Oh, and I have the intex SWG that has the filter pump all in one unit, so can't bring in the SWG without also bringing in the pool pump. Is that okay to leave out all winter? Should I cover it with something to insulate it a bit?

And if I do leave the pump going, would I bring it up to slam level still and then just run the pump?

Another idea, what about wrapping some kind of insulation around the over the wall skimmer hose? That way, I could bring the pump inside.

Sorry I threw out a quite a few different scenarios and questions.
Thanks for helping.

Is there any way you could drain the hose and plug the holes so no water can get in it?

How I do my above ground pool is run the pump like I always do during the day not matter what time of year it is. This keeps it clean from the stuff the tress add to it. Then IF they say the temps are going down to freezing that night I run the pump that night. I don't wait for them to say the words "hard freeze" just to be no the safe side.

A SWG does not work when the water temps go below 60 or so. You will have to use liquid chlorine during the burrr times. I will tell you I use very little during the winter though. It only take s tiny bit each day or so.

The thing to really watch for is as the temps start going back up. I got a little lazy one spring and did not really notice the temps. I got a slight algae bloom so had to SLAM to clear the pool. It did not take long but lesson learned for me.........keep an eye on the Spring temps!

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.